Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Friday, 11 January 2013

Framing


Re – the question about framing.  

Never take your work to someone who is not familiar with needlework.  They often use mounting boards which have glue on them.  The glue will leach through in no time and your work will be ruined.  You can never get it off again.  

Having said that, if you don’t trust your framer, do it yourself.  Mount your piece on acid-free foam core with pins or lacing and then take it to a framer. 

This method is cheaper because you have done most of the work.  Also choose your frame carefully.  I always try have it suit the period of the sampler.  

I do a lot of 17th century pieces so I don’t want anything that is modern or colonial in appearance.  

I like the idea of hem stitching but if the piece is very long or heavy it can sag over time.  

When mounting this type of finish you should try to take a number of invisible stitches throughout the piece to hold it in place.  

I don’t use glass because I like to be able to see the work without it but if I do I use regular glass or the expensive ultra violet or whatever it is.  The non-glare glass makes the work appear flat and takes away the beauty of your stitches.  

Hope this helps.

Barbara G.

7 comments:

Nicola said...

Thank you Barbara, food for thought.

I have often wondered about whether or not it is a good thing to hang samplers on walls above radiators.

Jennifer Cameron said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Barbara. Stretching onto foam core mount board yourself is the best way. In the past I have had framers use sticky board, staples (!!!)and loose lacing. All of these have had to be redone. So now I do all the prep work myself and once you have done a couple you will be a pro. I have even been tempted to find a course so that I can learn to make the actual wooden frame as well. Yes, I am a control freak.
With regards to radiators, I have found that the pieces I've stretched and mounted myself are absolutely fine to hang above a radiator as I stretch them v tightly (thanks to learning this at the Royal School of Needlework ) and as they are mounted in the same environment as they are hung ie room temperature, they seem to be fine. Some others, done by framers in the past , have wrinkled and sagged. Hope this helps.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

A Conservator’s Ten Commandments
For Collectors of Antique Samplers
by Dottie D McCoach
Textile Conservation

Never hand it over the fireplace.
Never hang it in the kitchen.
Never hang it in the bathroom.
Never hang it in the direct sun.
Never store it in the basement.
Never store it in the attic.
Never hang it without glass.
Never use glass without a spacer.
Never use other than acid free materials
Always seal the rabbet of the frame.

****

I would like to add that I do not put glass on my models, but I still use spacers.

Barbara

Nicola said...

Here is some more information from Barbara G

Hi again Nicola



Further to my last post on framing I have found this sight which demonstrates the pinning method I use. www.needleworktips-and-techniques.com. Once you are on the sight click on finishing techniques. I learned this at my guild but was sure it would be on the net somewhere and there it is. In my opinion it is the best method. I use rust free sequin pins. They are very short. Just make sure they do not poke through the fabric.



Barbara G.

Deb said...

I have found that the non-glare glass is the worst thing to use. I framed one sampler back in the early 90's and I can see where either the threads are actually sticking to the glass or the color has transferred. I had it professionally framed so I assume there are spacers, but I'd be afraid of what would happen if I were to take the thing apart.

I always use museum glass now. When I first started cross stitching I didn't use glass and when I had to take one of them apart, I found that the exposed area was incredibly dirty - probably due to just the normal dust and flying grease and things in the air. I don't hang anything in the kitchen, but particles can travel all over the house.

Tommye said...

I totally agree with Barbara. I've been pinning needlework for over 20 years for myself and in two needlework shops that I owned. I've also 'fixed' pieces that have been practically ruined by those who don't know diddly about framing needlework.

I also choose not to use glass. So much of the beauty of needlework is texture and you lose that when covered in glass. I want to enjoy my needlework NOW and not worry about who might see it 200 years from now.

Inguna said...

Tommye said:
"I want to enjoy my needlework NOW and not worry about who might see it 200 years from now."
And I fully agree with her.