Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 17 January 2013

Going With It - Making Salley Work

My version - Salley Morse c.1795
From the Hope R Hacker Sampler Collection
Allentown Art Museum Allentown PA
First my excuses...the history...
I started this sampler over 20 years ago.  So much going on with a move and two young children...

When I pulled it out (thanks to the wonderful encouragement here) I discovered I had reversed the color in the alphabets.
Well, I'm going with it!  Stitching instead of spending the time  to rip and restitch.

I've been working on it a bit each day - Salley and I made peace.  I can see the end is near.  After all, the chart says, "Naive and somewhat asymmetrical sampler such as this, small mistakes will not be apparent"  

This weekend I saw a frame at the local antique shop that just might work.... 

13 comments:

Lanie said...

I really like this sweet sampler and just ordered it yesterday. Good for you just "going with it" and I love that you found an antique frame. I need to start paying attention to such items in my travels around the antique dealers.

EvalinaMaria said...

It looks lovely!

Nicola said...

I think it looks rather nice. Go with it !!!!

Krista said...

Looks really pretty! Love the color choices.

Merry Wind Farm said...

Love the colors on the linen you choose. It will look wonderful in your antique frame.
Melinda

Carmen Sutton said...

I LIKE YOUR MISTAKE I think you should go get the frame!

Dawn said...

Thank you all so much! I stitched on it some today - those satin stitch flowers ;-)
I can't take any credit for the linen or thread - I bought it as a kit.
Happy Stitching!!

Faye said...

This is really pretty!!!!

Elizabeth said...

This is so pretty. The colours are lovely.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

It was meant to be.

She is a delight!

Kathy said...

Really cute sampler! Love the colors on that linen.

Lelia said...

It is a wonderful pattern - I wouldn't have changed it either. Going with it and finishing seems more appropriate

Dawn said...

Thank you all for your kind wishes - and support ;-)