Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Monday, 14 January 2013

Finally a start!!

Good Afternoon Happy Stitchers - at least it is afternoon where I am sitting about to start my first sampler of the challenge. First, a brief introduction, as this is my first time to join you. My name is Willa and I am a very novice stitcher. I still look very carefully at the descriptions on the charts, obviously looking for the words that make my heart sing - "suitable for beginners!" I have stitched for years but only on Aida cloth and always giant 14 count works. I thought that was t*h*e way to go....until I discovered the Loudon Sampler Guild 4 years ago. Before then you could put all my knowledge of samplers, linens, charts, and silks in a tiny thimble and there would still be room for a finger. I have been in heaven ever since that first meeting. I was welcomed with open arms and the learning process began. The gals in my group have been so willing to teach, guide, demonstrate and answer every question (no matter how silly my questions sound to me) I have asked. I adore them! However, they all share in the responsibility for creating a monster when it comes to stitching! I just can't get enough and other things are usually put off for another (non-stitching) day! I have much to learn, but stitch by stitch I will get there! Oh, forgot to mention that I was elected president of the guild last year and I'm now serving my second year of a 2 year term. I figured if I wanted to learn I might as well be there every time the door was open and gals were gathered to stitch!
My selection for the SAL are just lovely and tonight I will officially place the first stitch on the linen and off I go! I decided on two smaller pieces instead of one large one. And yes, they are both suitable for beginners! The one I will begin first is Miniature Sampler c1805. It will be mounted on claret-colored cotton velvet and framed. The finished size is 2 1/2 X 3". TINY!! The second one is The Antique Alphabet Sampler, an original Scarlet Letter design based on alphabets and designs found in 18th and 19th century samplers. I am so excited to be part of this talented group of stitchers. I'm thanking you in advance for all I will learn from you this year!!

4 comments:

Lanie said...

Hi Willa and welcome! How great is it to belong to a sampler guild?! I would love to find one in my area. The more I stitch these beautiful samplers the more my passion grows to learn more about the history and stories needlework has to tell.

Enjoy!

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Hello Willa!

Welcome to the SAL. I am so glad you joined us.

I know you will have a great time being part of this fabulous group of needleworkers.

For anyone that would like to see what the LSG is about here is our web page:http://loudounsamplerguild.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/holiday-party-recap/

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Guild President? Honoured to have you stitching with us! It must be great to be able to meet up with so many stitching friends in real life.
Two great choices here, I like the colours in the 2nd one in particular.

Roberta said...

Welcome Willa,

nothing like jumping in with both feet/hands!!! Look forward to watching your progress.

Congrats on being president of the Sampler guild - that is great.