Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Sunday, 13 January 2013

Greetings from cold Colorado

It's -9 degrees Fahrenheit, so my animals and I are all huddled around the wood stove. I am very excited about this challenge - I just downsized my life a bit, and though I still have plenty of work to do, I am looking forward to trying new things and beginning (and finishing!) new projects. I have chosen Sarah Brignell 1769 (silk threads; I think 36 count) from the Victoria and Albert Museum for the challenge (or at least for my first go). My mother gave the kit to me for a Christmas present. I have at least two other Scarlet Letter kits in my stash (also Christmas presents), and have completed one, which now hangs on my wall. I will start the Brignell as soon as I complete Rosewood Manor's Halloween Quilt Sampler, which I should finish in the next week or two. 



I have been stitching now for ten years; my first attempt was in the autumn of 2003. I picked up a kit from Bothy Threads in Wales as a gift for a friend, and then thought, maybe I should give this a try. I was in the middle of getting divorced, and was looking for activities with which to expand my horizons (hence the trip to Wales). I can't explain why, but I found stitching addictive (I also tried pottery, and did not find that addictive at all). Since then I have also tried needlepoint, knitting, and weaving - I love the fiber arts. My paternal grandmother stitched, and I have several of her pieces - she even designed her own needlepoint pictures. I like to stitch while listening to audiobooks (usually mystery novels). 

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and watching your progress - happy Sunday!

Tracey

7 comments:

Nicola said...

WOW. Sarah is one of those samplers I am plucking up courage to stitch. I am so looking forward to seeing lots of close up photos as you progress.

I was born and loved most of my life in Wales. Which part did you visit?

Krista said...

What a beautiful choice! Sarah Brignell is a beauty. I look forward to seeing you stitch her. Enjoy your Sunday and keep warm!

Tracey Sedinger said...

Nicola, I have visited Wales three times now. That particular visit was limited to Gwynedd, with most of the time spent in Betws-y-coed and Criccieth. I walked the southern half of the Offa's Dyke Path a couple of years later, and this past summer walked the Usk River Valley Path. I am thinking of spending my 50th birthday in Wales - probably either at the Hunter's Moon Inn in Llangattock Lingoed or at the hotel at Llanthony!

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

Sarah Brignell is lovely. I know how you feel about other activities. I have been taking stained glass classes for over a year and I love it when I'm there, but when I come home, I pick up my stitching! Irene xxx

Ako "Bell" Shiffer said...

Hi Tracey, I'm stitching Sarah as well :-) Started on New Year's day. slow going but I'm enjoying every stitch. the colors in this are amazing! Brighter than I thought. You will love stitching her :-D Happy stitching xxxxx ako

SonjaC said...

Sarah is a great choice, I think this one is going to be added to my stash pretty soon. I can't wait to see your progress. I also find stitching addictive, sometimes so addicting that I find I do very little else!!!

~mj~ said...

Hi Tracey! I love your sampler choice, Sarah is a beauty! Where in Colorado are you? I live in The Springs! It was wicked cold last weekend, wasn`t it? :)