Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Introducing Gentle Susan

Hi, I'm Katherine.  I live in the Mountaineer State of West Virginia, USA.  This is my first time joining a group. 


I have decided to work on the sampler Susan Singleton.  While I obtained three samplers, all of which I will eventually do, The Huntsman and Hannah Carter (to me, they are a similar style and deserve to hang together) are too ambitious for me to take on now and finish by the time of Nicola's birthday in 2014.  So, Susan Singleton was who I settled on for this soiree.

Those of you who know me, know that it's really hard impossible for me to leave any design unchanged.  I realize that this is the thing that may get me voted off the island and will abide by the group's decision.  I've decided to do Susan with some major changes.  As you can see from my photo above, I couldn't decide whether to stitch her on a natural linen, or a colored one.  Also, the size of my blue linen presented a problem.  The design was too big for the piece.  So, I am slightly altering the borders and have decided on the blue linen.

Then - in for a penny, in for a pound - I went for the third drastic change - floss color.  I will be stitching Susan using Gentle Art Sampler Threads.  Below are my notes on the floss changes.  If anyone in the future decides that they want to stitch a "Gentle Susan", just let me know and I can send you a PDF file of the color changes.  I really hope that you all decide to let me stay and live on this wonderful island for the next year.  I'm a good cook, a lousy housekeeper, very creative, and can't wait to get to know you better!  Hope you enjoyed.


14 comments:

Elaine said...

Welcome! I love the GAST and love your choice of blue linen. I wouldn't worry about changing the design, lots of us are doing that!

Nicola said...

A very warm welcome to the group. Do not worry about personalising your sampler, we recently had a discussion about this subject and the consensus was to make your sampler your own.

It will add more interest to the challenge and I am looking forward to see your Susan grow.

Thank you so much for participating.

Mindi said...

Your changes sound interesting and I can't wait to see some WIP photos! I'll quite often change a piece to fit my needs and likes, and almost always change floss colors.

Deb said...

I can't wait to see your color changes come to life. I had started Susan a while ago and didn't like the colors of it at all and put her aside, so I'm going to be watching with interest how your changes look.

Jon Lee said...

I am so glad to see your color changes and your beautiful sampler choice. Although I live in the Chicago area now, I am from West Virginia. I miss my home state so often and look forward to following your progress on your samplers.

Elizabeth said...

I am looking forward to seeing this develop. I love your choice of linen.

Lelia said...

Enjoy your project - change what you like. Remember, it is your sampler. Stitch well today ; )

P S. my pattern charts have a lot of messages on them, too. I couldn't stitch anything without them!!!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Haha, the bit about being a good cook has saved you! Send me some cake and I'll keep you in all year LOL.

Seriously though, if you want to change things around why not do it. The original samplers were examples of needlework used as reference materials and that's exactly what you're doing.

I change fabric most often because it's hard to get without an LNS, change of fabric does mean a change of threads often. And my dislike of repetitive borders means they go quite often too!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Kathy said...

All your ideas for changing this sampler sounds like fun!! I can't wait to see your progress and changes. Also, thanks for sharing your alternate threads with us. That was very sweet of you.

Lisa M said...

I love your ideas to convert the sampler to GAST. I would do that myself more often but I shop online and often the colours one sees on the computer screen is not what appears in the post!

Vera said...

Welcome to the group(s) and looking forward to seeing the progress. It's all about having fun and making a sampler your own is part of the fun!

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

I agree, you should make changes if they make the stitching and the finished project more acceptable.......I am just not brave enough to do it!! Irene xxx

ilana kaye said...

Welcome to the group. Changes are not a crime. Enjoy the colors and materials that make you happy. I look forward to seeing your work.

Marsha said...

I can't wait to see her since i'm stitching her too. One of the few times I've bought a kit. No changes for me on this one but that's unusual for me.