Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Saturday, 19 January 2013

Loving SDW

I finally have a few pictures to post of my start of SDW. I am loving this sampler. I have taken everyone's advice to heart. At my cross stitch shop I looked for a piece of 36 ct. Edinburgh Linen to stitch this beautiful sampler on. My shop had a beautiful piece of 40 ct. Edinburgh Linen, but not 36 ct. I just didn't think that my eyes would hold up to stitching on the 40 ct., especially after all the paper work I do for work. One of my friends had suggested that I use 34 ct. Devonshire Cream Linen by Access Commodities. I have never stitched on this size fabric, but it sounded like a great size for me. My shop did not have this color, but they did have the most beautiful piece of 34 ct. Wren Linen by Access Commodities. The linen is so soft to the touch and easy to stitch on. It is almost shimmery and like a beautiful wren's down in its color. I also lucked out with the amount of linen I was able to buy. Because of the size of this sampler, I needed a large piece of linen. The women at the shop determined that I could purchase an entire half yard for less than the actual size cut that I would need. The linen was extra wide, so that meant that I ended up with quite a large piece of linen. Bottom line, I have more than sufficient linen to stitch SDW, and I have a beautiful piece left over to stitch another sampler on. That is exciting. I also experimented with one or two threads and determined that I wanted to use two strands of DMC. I love the coverage. Since I use overdyed threads so often, I had forgotten how beautiful and rich the DMC threads are. I am very happy with my start. I am not the fastest stitcher, but I am quite methodical in my stitching. I can't wait to begin stitching the horse. I will not get a start on the horse until tomorrow because I am going stitching with my friends tonight at the shop. The fabric for SDW is too large to manage with all the people stitching. I hope to post another update on Monday. Enjoy your week-end, and for those of us in the United States, enjoy your Martin Luther King, Jr., holiday on Monday.






9 comments:

Lanie said...

Jon Lee, your fabric sounds lovely. This is a beautiful sampler; I have been admiring the others who are also stitching SDW and I look forward to following you too!

Enjoy!

Nicola said...

I am sat here now stiching on my SDW, Saturday is SDW Day !!!

We have all left the blackwork band at the top as we did not like the way the silk was lying. I think that I may do some pulled thread or filet work instead.

I love this sampler so much, have fun stitching yours. It looks very nice what you have already done.

Faye said...

This is a gorgeous sampler..... I am really loving see everyone's progress!

Krista said...

A beautiful start on SDW. I have been working on mine too and love it so. I agree that the dmc is so rich and vibrant. Great choice of fabric too, the colors will all work perfect on it.

Elizabeth said...

Your choice of fabric is lovely Jon Lee. Lovely stitching too.

Elaine said...

Fantastic start! I am about to work a little on mine now for our SAL

Kevin Tober said...

Great start, Jon Lee! I'm heading to the site to look for this sampler in a few minutes. I'm really inspired by everyone's great work here.

ilana kaye said...

Good luck on your start.....I know you will enjoy stitching SDW as much as I did. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Katherine said...

Jon Lee - thanks for your kind words on my start of Gentle Susan. You and I are kindred spirits. I am not originally from West Virginia; I live in the Eastern Panhandle; you should tell me what part you come from. I'll have to look "SDW" up on the web site - I can't remember it, but you've got a lovely start here. Yes, going back to the DMCs is wonderful sometimes.