Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Mornings with Rachel

I decided to quit skipping around and work on some filling stitches for awhile.

Rachel Jarratt
first three bands


So far this has required cross stitch, cross over one, backstitch, double running, four-sided stitch, counted satin filling, counted stem filling, fishbone, and Roumanian stitch.   I have to keep setting it down to go consult my stitch reference books.  Still ahead in the sampler: queen, Florentine, detached buttonhole, and bullion knots.  Learning a lot here.

So far, so good!  (But I still loathe satin stitch.  It doesn't fill well on the 30-count linen, and it shows every tension issue imaginable.)

Kate

10 comments:

Angie Burrett said...

Kate: this is so beautiful, and worth all the learning of different stitches - you should feel extremely proud of yourself - it will be an heirloom.

Nicola said...

Angie is right, be proud.

Have you tried using a laying tool when working satin stitches?

Lanie said...

Kate, your work is beautiful! I know this will be absolutely fabulous when completed. As "frustrating" as specialty stitches can be, I think they do take a piece to another level!

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Hello Kate,

Your work is lovely.

With a single thread, you could repeat a satin stitch as many times as needed for full coverage.
You might also try to work padding stitches prior to the satin stitches.

Enjoy your stitching!
Barbara

Sharon H said...

Beautiful sampler!

Nikki said...

Beautiful filling stitches. I just love to see them, especially the satin stitching. This sampler is gorgeous.

Nikki

Vera said...

I love those satin stitches. This is gorgeous -- lovely stitching.

llknbillburg said...

The colors on this are beautiful and your work is just wonderful!

I have this one in my stash and had no idea it had so many different stitches in it! I guess I better brush up before I get this one out!! Laura

Starry-eyed stitcher said...

This is looking scrumptious! Irene xxx

Tommye said...

Absolutely gorgeous...the sampler AND your work. Just how many SLs can one person have in their stash? I hope there isn't a rule about that. LOL