Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Saturday, 19 January 2013

Sarah Stuart progress

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Here in western Pennsylvania, USA we are having a delightful day of rare winter sunshine before the Arctic cold blows in next week ... arrggghhh! But what can we do ... Mother Nature cannot be controlled!

I had a pretty good week of stitching. Sarah Stuart is a very enjoyable project. Her colors are a little brighter than I generally stitch, but I'm liking them. Maybe I need some color to cheer up our typically drab winter days!


As unbelievable as it sounds, in the 10+ years that I have been stitching reproduction samplers, I have never done any stem stitches ... how can that be?!! ...  and I have to admit I have a little bit of anxiety about stem stitches ... and there is a good amount of stem stitches on Miss Sarah. This week it was time to face the stem stitches.


I don't have the foggiest idea what I'm doing ... any constructive criticism/comments/helpful tidbits are welcome and very much appreciated. I still have quite a bit of stem stitching to do including two large trees at the bottom of the sampler. I suppose one way or the other I will conquer my fear and become a little more proficient ... we'll see ...  fingers crossed!

This morning I started the verse ... most of it is over one! An hour or so later this is what I've got!


Oh dear, it's been some time since I stitched over one on 40 count! But I have my magnifying lamp, my +2.75 reading glasses, and the above mentioned sunshine to help me out today ... and Pittsburgh Penguin hockey on the television to keep me company! It will get done ... slowly ... but it will eventually get done.

I am absolutely loving being a part of  the SL blogs. All your beautiful stitching is so exciting and inspiring! And speaking of excitement ... Marsha's "The Manifesto" ... oh, be still my heart!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

21 comments:

ilana kaye said...

Lanie... Your stitching is great. I love the colors on Sarah Stuart. I look forward to seeing your progress,.

Jon Lee said...

Lanie. I love this beautiful sampler. You have all my admiration, stitching one over 40 ct. Enjoy the Penquins.

Mindi said...

She's looking absolutely gorgeous, and your stem stitches look great. Over 1 stitching on 40 count... I sure hope there's not a lot of it. My eyes have trouble with that and its slow going. So worth the effort though.

Kathy said...

What a great looking lady!! Love her colors. Your stem stitches look like you've been doing them the whole 10 years of stitching repo's to me. Great job!

Lanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Gorgeous progress, your stem stitches look wonderful. I love the bright colors in this sampler.

Nicola said...

Lanie, she is absolutely scrumptious, love every thing about her. You have made marvellous progress you must be really enjoying her.

It is ages since I stem stitched.

samplerlover said...

Lanie,Sarah is looking wonderful. Ihavealways love this sampler. Your stem stitches look perfect to me. You'll find that once you start doing it, you'll wonder why you were so worried about it.

I thought that I would show you a sampler that I did a few years ago. It's a SL Sampler called Elizabeth Cox. The bottom section is nearly all stem stitch.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IVHHRe6B5fE/SjmD9dnXF4I/AAAAAAAAAuM/Zvf6sLLhuWc/s320/002.JPG

Deb said...

Oh Sarah looks wonderful!! I have it in my stash and it was a leading contender and now that I've seen yours I'm going to have to push her closer to the top. It's beautiful.

Stitch Wizard said...

Lanie your stitching is just beautiful and I love these colors so much! I just adore the pink flowers in the photo that you did too. I too have not done stem stitch. I went and did a search and find that Mary Corbet has some wonderful short videos on specialty stitches and I found this for you. Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebgWq9AqyY and it shows how to do this stitch. I still would want to watch it again but your project looks beautiful. You look like you may have already learned but here is something I thought you may want to check out. I love the bright colors, especially in these dark cold winter days. Love watching your progress and I too love The Manifesto and wish I could have it.

Stitch Wizard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faye said...

Oh wow Lanie.... The colors are so unique.... I love it because it is a little brighter than most.... I'm going to go check out the you tube tutorials mentioned above..... Good idea for those stitches we rarely, or never, have used....... Great job!!!!!

Krista said...

omg, Lanie, it is looking gorgeous! I think the stem stitches look great. Love the pretty colors in this one.

brod'attitude said...

Congratulations, it's very nice

Elizabeth said...

This is so nice and your stem stitch looks perfect.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Lanie, your work is gorgeous.

The colors are terrific.

Great progress.

Lanie said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and encouragement. Stitching buddies are the best kind of buddies to have! My stem stitches aren't perfect but I'll keep working on them...I do like the texture they add to the piece.

Bhooma said...

It is beautiful. Your work is gorgeous! Added this to my wish list which seems to be growing by leaps and bounds!

~mj~ said...

This is a gorgeous sampler, and your stem stitches are just beautiful!! I have never done them, but am thinking about using them in place of detached buttonhole on one of my samplers. I have tension issues with detached buttonhole...

pamina said...

Beautiful ! Love your stem stitches too !

Katherine said...

Oh, how pretty!