Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 9 January 2013

SARAH STUART

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! May we and the world in which we live be blessed in 2013.

After a very busy, but a very merry Christmas season, I spent all day on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day stitching "Sarah Stuart". I was so excited to finally give her a start, and looked forward to posting my progress by week's end.  But...the more I stitched the more I fussed. Not the first time I've found myself in this situation, but I want to love Sarah Stuart...I do love Sarah Stuart...I don't want to fuss at her and eventually find her in my WIP basket!

I  think part of the situation is the color of linen I am using. If I had to do over I would choose something a bit darker, but I had this piece of 40ct. Lambswool from Scarlet Letter that was the correct size and so I jumped right in with it before I really took a good look at all the silks.

Some of the colors are just too light and fade into the linen I'm using. So I spent the weekend re-evaluating, unpicking (arrgghh...never fun on 40 count!), and then re-stitching with slightly darker shades.  I'll probably need a few more adjustments as I stitch along. So far I think I have been faithful to the overall look of the original...I hope I've been, I don't wish to offend Miss Sarah and her beautiful work!

Here she is ...




This Scarlet Letter Year is such fun! Nicola I can't thank you enough! And Jo, thank you for your assistance and support. It's great to see many current blogging friends and meet new ones. Everyone's stitching is beautiful and so inspiring. The only downside...and it seems many of you will agree...I wasn't ever going to have enough hours in my lifetime to complete everything on my wish list before, how will I ever complete my list with all the new SL designs added?!!    All I can say is...I'm going to enjoy trying!!

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Lanie

12 comments:

Angie Burrett said...

Hello Lanie: I can imagine how tedious un-picking was - and it seems such a waste of time! But it is now looking fabulous so you have obviously done the right thing, and in the end as you say you want to LOVE Miss Sarah! Sewing on 40 count is beyond my eye-sight so I am very impressed! There are so many SL designs that we all want to sew - Nicola may find the challenge is on-going year after year as we will all be hooked! I shall look forward to seeing how this piece progresses - I love the look of the satin stitch and the colours you are now working with look great. Good luck!

Krista said...

Beautiful work, Lanie! The colors are just gorgeous and even though you had to do some backstepping it looks all worth it!

Ellen said...

What a lovely start! I love the sawtooth border and the honeysuckle band.

Dawn said...

Beautiful progress. I plan to start one on light linen later in the year - thanks for sharing!

Ladymarquoir said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, I love the colors, so you did a fantastic job picking new shades, wow!

Nicola said...

....... and trying is such fun Lanie.

Sarah looks perfect to me. She is going straight on by to buy list.

Kerri said...

I love all your color choices! I think it looks wonderful so far. Sorry about the "reverse" stitching. At least it wasn't any over one that had to be removed. I may have to add this to my growing list of samplers to do. I really love that top border.

Jennifer H said...

I am starting to wonder if having a blog two is the start of troubles for me - seeing your Sarah Stuart is causing no small amount of anguish as I put it on my wish list. It keeps growing!! I just LOVE the colors you have for this - be sure if you could to have a list of the color changes in case some of us want to use them. I know I will! :)

Hugs and Love,
Jennifer H

Kathy said...

I bet this sampler is going to be just gorgeous when it's finsh!!! Your stitching looks great.

Elizabeth said...

I just love this. I am now seriously developing 'delusions of grandeur' - thinking my stitching abilities have no bounds! LOL! Ah well...I can dream of what I would like to do.

Gillie said...

It's absolutely beautiful and you WILL love her. The fabric is so important and I don't really like the fabric I have for my tiny sampler as two of the colours are completely lost. Since it is so small I am continuing and changing out the colours. Look forward to seeing your progress!

Kim Hummel said...

I love the way your colors are looking on the fabric. Looks like you made some good choices on your changes.