Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Monday, 11 February 2013

A Visit to the Spiritual Home


Hang on to your pincushions, fellow stitchers--I have just returned from an audience with Marsha Parker of The Scarlet Letter. I was THERE.

I live less than 20 miles from The Scarlet Letter's home base, and was too cheap to pay the postage for a chart alone (planning to use linen and threads of my own choosing for my Margret Lawrance project). So I called Marsha and asked if I could pick up charts for my stitching buddies and me. She said yes, and by the way, did I have 4-wheel drive??

Um. Noooo.

So, the driveway onto her property is a steep hill, and it was solid ice. SOLID ICE. (This picture shows the view going back down. I was too intimidated on the way up to stop for a picture.)


It was a teeth-clenching journey up that hill. Made it up in OK shape, but for the walk from my car to the door, I had to use my best old lady walk. Quite a sight. I was NOT going to end up with a broken ankle or worse. Although if I had broken something, perhaps I could've camped out at The Scarlet Letter for a few days...or maybe until spring.

Marsha could not have been more gracious.


I was not there to impose on her nor did I expect a tour of the whole place, but even in her shipping area, she has glorious antique and repro samplers framed on every wall. Heaven. She pointed out the original Margret Lawrance. Swoon.



And the original Dorothy Walpole.


Marsha also owns samplers stitched by each of Dorothy's three daughters. One is charted.

Sampler charts in hand, my car and I crept back down that steep, icy driveway without incident, and my brush with stitchery greatness was over. We can hope, hope, hope that maybe she'll have an Open House sometime. In better weather.

21 comments:

Sharon H said...

Gorgeous pictures!! You are certainly brave to attempt the ice and snow - but I am sure it was well worth the effort and nail biting!!! Love the antique samplers - and the snow is pretty to look at. Happy stitching.

Nicola said...

Bless you Kathie for sharing this, I enjoyed every photo and I know I will come back to this post many times.

samplerlover said...

Thank you Kathie for sharing such a wonderful experience. I think that any person who loved Scarlet Letter samplers would love to be able to pay a visit to this magical place and met it's wonderful owner. I really loved looking at the your photos.

Scarlet Letter said...

Kathie, I resemble Sasquatch in this picture, and no wonder since the "Ice Palace" is heated with wood and the furnace hadn't been stoked before your arrival. This thick down vest is what I wear every day. I thought you might enjoy some photos of "Grazing Sheep". I hope that I can get this to load. If not, I'll try to post it elsewhere.

Jenny said...

I absolutely loved this post! The pictures are awesome and those samplers.....Thank you for sharing your day with us.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for sharing these. I wouldn't have attempted to drive on the ice!

Angie Burrett said...

What a joy to see these pictures Kathie, and worth being so brave driving in that weather - how many of us wish we could visit Marsha too!

Lanie said...

Kathie, how wonderful that you were able to visit Marsha. All those lovely samplers in person...oh be still my heart!

brod'attitude said...

Wonderful

Brenda in WI said...

What a wonderful post Kathy - I too hope Marsha will have another open house - I was at her other ones and was in heaven. I love her farm and her samplers. She is a lucky woman to be living the life she is.

Stitch Wizard said...

Oh yes this is a wonderful post and what a treat to actually be there to see all of the beauty inside and out! Marsha lives in paradise it looks like to me. I love the country and sheep and really love seeing some samplers! Thank you all for sharing with all of us!!

Cheri said...

Fun post Kathie. While I was reading it last night my cell phone rang and the unknown number said Wisconsin. " No Way" was my first thought, but I answered and it was Marsha. She had a question about an order I had placed. Funny how a shared interest makes it a very small world.
Happy Stitching All

Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dona said...

How great that you got to see the originals of such beautiful samplers! What a treat!

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Just goes to show how determined we all are.

Great, funny story. I am glad your travels were safe. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures.

Mindi said...

What a treat and a great experience! thank you so much for sharing the pictures.

Fiona said...

Thank you for sharing with us all. Loved looking at your lovely photographs. I smiled when you mentioned your old lady walk, I know that when it is icy that is exactly how I walk too.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

What a great opportunity - thanks for sharing!

I'm like that about postage, too! But the ice road may have caused me to think twice about it!

Faye said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!! You actually got to meet Marsha??? AND go to the Scarlet Letter??? I would have passed out.... Now, being the southern al that I am, I would have lost it on that icky road..... For sure.... Great photo and story... I know your stitching buds appreciate you taking one for the team!

Kim Hummel said...

That looks like so much fun. Thank you for sharing the fabulous photos

Kim

woolwoman said...

great post - thanks for sharing your amazing experience and photos with us all. Melody