Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Sunday, 17 February 2013

An adventure and a beginning for Hannah Brassington

Blogging is a new skill for me, and I'm learning about fetching photos and creating links, so I'm hoping you'll be patient, as I'm somewhat lazy when it comes to documentation.  Not to mention, I'd rather be stitiching - or knitting - or quilting!

Saturday began with an excursion to Welcome Stitchery in Crystal Lake, IL with three like-minded friends who are also stitchin' along. KathieB (it was SHE who braved that treacherous driveway at Marsha's to pick up our charts last Monday from the Spiritual Home)  hauled me and Deb and Sue in her little VW to parts south of the [Wisconsin/Illinois] border.   It was our first trip to this area, and what a wonderful surprise it was!  The shop is well-stocked and the staff exemplifies the name of this shop in every way.

LNS Staff always knows where to go for lunch.  They directed us to Benedict's La Strata right around the corner.  Chicken Pannini with Brie and Slice Pears... YUM!  Despite a great selection of eateries in this delightful town, it will be difficult to try another upon our return.

We were astonished at the number of people visiting Crystal Lake early on a Saturday, with temps barely in the teens.  While we didn't linger outdoors, we walked enough to discover a shopper's paradise, and with time and warmer weather, WE SHALL RETURN!

We did accomplish our goal of stocking up for the SAL, and after much ado about putting things in order with Works In Progress and organising (to some degree) Hannah Brassington, I'm off to a rather humble start...

No, I don't use a hoop or frame.  I've stitched "in hand" for forty years, and this zebra isn't going to change her stripes; so all of my progress will be somewhat wrinkled - at least until the linen relaxes a bit.





I'm stitching with Anchor cotton (I just love the sheen) and #28 Bohin needles.  Mine is 32-count Desert Sand linen, and the finished piece will consequently be a bit larger than the original.  The way I see it,  by the time I'm finished I might actually be able to read the over-one verse!


Thought you'd like to meet my little friend...



As the uninitiated perpetually ask "how long" when viewing  a finished piece (the method employed to determine your sanity), I'm going to try to log my time as I progress through Hannah.  This little bit of Hannah represents four hours - including time for the inevitable frogging (two small areas).

Happy stitching!

Renee, Town of Vernon, Waukesha County, Wisconsin, USA

13 comments:

Jenny said...

Your start is beautiful! I love your little friend. He looks like he is a wonderful companion to have nearby while you stitch.

Elizabeth said...

I love your little friend too and so enjoyed reading your post.

Lanie said...

Hi Renee ... so much to enjoy in your newsy post! Love the sampler you chose. Pretty border. Wonder what the story is behind the spotted creature?! How lucky you are to have good stitching friends with whom you can take road trips to discover a new LNS. I am envious! And the restaurant sounds wonderful ... I checked out the website ... looks like my kind of place!

Debbie Bauer said...

Enjoyed your story! Sounds like accomplished your goal and then some.Anxious to see your progress through Hannah.

Vera said...

I, too, enjoyed your story and seeing your little friend. Nice start on your sampler -- looking forward to progress pics!

Nicola said...

Dear Renee, I have enjoyed reading your post, you are a natural blogger.

Your start on Hannah is beautiful and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Your little friend is adorable.

Marlene said...

I too am a newbie when it comes to blogging and attaching a photo but you're doing a GREAT job.
Your friendly companion rabbit is unique and wonderful.
I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those. Have you had it for long?

Dawn said...

Sounds like a fun road trip with friends. You have a great start. LOVE the rabbit!!

KathieB said...

Yay, Renee! Looking good...

Kevin said...

Welcome to blogging! I'm rather new to it myself and still trying to figure things out. Your sampler is beautiful. I love the fabric you've chosen. Also love that scissor holder rabbit on your table! Do you recall where you found him?

FlyawayJil said...

Alas my rabbit friend is not a rare find, nor was he very pricey, but he has held my needle on a magnet stuck to his little paw, as well as my scissors for some tume now, without complaint. He's often sporting a thimble on his ear, too. I had him for awhile before friend Tammy Black at Salem Stitchery showed me what he was good for. You can find him at Amazon, though mine came from The Country Sampler, another wondrful shop in Spring Green, WI.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007DFY1J6/ref=asc_df_B007DFY1J62394516?tag=thefind0002460-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B007DFY1J6&linkCode=asn

sue said...

Renee,
I so enjoyed your blog and plan to continue following. If I didn't have several irons in the fire, I might have been tempted to add this project. Looking forward to more!
sue w

Fiona said...

Loved reading your post. You have made great progess on Hannah. Your 'little friend' is lovely and a perfect friend for a stitcher.