Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Monday, 11 February 2013

Elizabeth Simon 1758 enters the challenge

Hello all,
My name is Kevin and I've been admiring the many beautiful samplers everyone is stitching as a part of Nicolas's Scarlet Letter Challenge!

I'm rather new to the world of reproduction samplers, but I have been stitching for the past nine years.  I got started in this craft after having back surgery in February of 2004. I was just about jumping out of my skin at having to sit in one particular position, trying to relieve my pain day in and day out, while staring at the mindless junk flashing by me on the TV each day.  One day at my neurosurgeon's office, I was complaining about the boredom and depression I was dealing with, and the nurse suggested I take up needlepoint.  Not knowing the difference between needlepoint and counted cross stitch, I picked up a Dimensions Gold kit called "Stately Palm" at a local crafts store and went home to figure out how this "needlepoint"  worked.  I read the directions several times, afraid I'd ruin it or something, and plunged in head first into the world of "counted cross stitch."

 Never in my life would I have predicted that nine years later I would live in a house where my guest room has been overtaken by "stash" and that I'd wait eagerly each day for the mailman to bring some new flosses, a chart, or my FIRST ever Scarlet Letter reproduction sampler kit!  I'm blogging about my experience as well on my own blog, Cabbages and Kings.

I'm very excited to be joining you this week as I make my first stitches on a reproduction of a sampler originally stitched in 1758 by Elizabeth Simon.  I look forward to posting my pics here with all of your gorgeous pieces, and I'll be writing about my experience on my own blog in a little more depth.
Thanks for having me join you in this challenge.



16 comments:

Bhooma said...

Kevin, Glad you joined the challenge. Looking forward to seeing you WIPP.

Nicola said...

A very warm welcome Kevin and thank you so much for participating in the challenge.

Elizabeth is such a pretty sampler one I have already got kitted up.

Did I see some of your model stitching recently featured in a well known LNS newsletter? STUNNING.

Jennifer H said...

Welcome aboard Kevin! So glad that needlework was able to help you. :)

Hugs and Love,
Jennifer H

H and T said...

Welcome Kevin, it is so great that you are here. I visited your blog and love your story about how your passion for stitching started. I too wish there were more men stitching. I think it is great that you stitched a CHS model. You are definitely leading the vanguard! I love the colors and arrangement of Elizabeth Simon and look forward to watching her develop.

Take care, Heather

Fiona said...

Welcome Keven. I am looking forward to wathcing your progress on Elizabeth. She is a very pretty piece. I enjoyed reading your blog about Corneilia very interesting.

Stitch Wizard said...

Welcome Kevin! Your project here is just stunning and I really love these colors too! This is such a nice group and you are really going to enjoy seeing everyone's progress too. I look forward to seeing your progress on this lovely sampler!!

Cindy L said...

Welcome Kevin. As a nurse I also suggest stitching to my patients. I find it very relaxing after a stressful day. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Kathy said...

Welcome Kevin!! You have picked a very pretty sampler to stitch. Can't wait to see your progress on this one.

Deb said...

That's a beautiful sampler Kevin. I can't wait to see your first stitches.

EvalinaMaria said...

Great choice Kevin. I've never stitched any Scarlet Letter kits before either - the pincushion and M. Quertier are my first ones.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Hello Kevin and welcome to world of reproduction samplers. You have come to the right place.

I look forward to watching your progress on Miss Elizabeth.

Enjoy your stitching!

Barbara

Sharon H said...

Welcome, Kevin. It's amazing how therapeutic needlework of any kind is. Can't wait to see your progress.

Lanie said...

Welcome Kevin. Elizabeth Simon is one of the samplers I always stop to look at while browsing the SL website. So glad you have chosen this one!

Dona said...

Hi Kevin! You picked a beautiful sampler to stitch! I hope enjoy it.

I enjoyed reading your story about you started stitching. That is so great.

Elizabeth said...

Hello Kevin. I love your choice and look forward to seeing Elizabeth progress.

Kevin said...

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and comments. I'm so torn right now because I'm dying to start Elizabeth Simon, but I promised my friend I'd stitch Cornelia VanDerveer for her. (Plus I'm ALMOST done with Village of Hawk Run Hollow!)
Think as a reward to myself, I'll start Elizabeth when I finish Village of HRH, hopefully this weekend! ;)