Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 7 February 2013

Finished, Done, Complete Salley Morse

I am so happy to post - after sitting unfinished for something like 20 years...yup, 20!

My Salley Morse is complete, done, finished, framed and will get hung today!

This SL piece is from the Hope R Hacker sampler collection at the Allentown Art Museum, Allentown PA - USA.   I purchased it as a kit - silk threads.

I reversed the color of the alphabet, by accident many years ago, and just kept going last month - as if were the original plan.

It came out larger than the 5" x 7" noted with the kit.  I used a custom frame - wonderful tiger maple that glows!!  I used a lacing technique to mount the sampler.  I attached the chart cover page to the back of the frame, and signed/dated the back.

Sewing tools:  Sterling scissors, child's thimble and holder, vegetable carved tape measure with stanhope end.  19th Century chintz in the background.

Thank you for your encouragement!  A finish feels great, and I am loving your posts and temptations.  Next up for me is a little over one...Til then -
Have a great time stitching!
Dawn
http://collectorwithaneedle.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

Nicola said...

Stunning !!

They say the best things in life are worth waiting for.

The frame is so beautiful. I love the sheen and the patterning, it is perfect for Sally.

Now what is the next sampler ?

Dawn said...

Next up N. Hinde 1778 mini over one. I am so optimistic I even have the frame ;-)

Cindy L said...

Dawn, congratulations! I also have this one in my stash to do for over 20 years. Your stitching and framing turned out lovely.

Mindi said...

Lovely finish, and the frame is just perfect.

Dawn said...

I am going to show DH that I am not the only one with 20 year projects ;-) Isn't it wonderful we still love them? The samplers I mean!!

Elizabeth said...

Dawn...can I say...as I await my Salley coming back from the framers. This is just beautiful. I love your choice of frame.

Lanie said...

Congratulations Dawn! YourSalley looks terrific. I love tiger maple and it looks like the perfect frame for this sampler!

woolwoman said...

OMGOSH - the tiger maple frame is exquisite and compliments little Salley beautifully - who cares if it was 20 years - its done now and oh so wonderful! Love your accessories - it really sets the photo opp. On to the next. . .
Melody

Mary said...

Congratualtions on finishing this beauty. I'm in love with her flowering border. Well done!

Christine said...

Congratulations it is lovely

Dawn said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am so glad I decided to not worry about the color mix up and finish her. It all worked out in the end!

ANudge said...

Gorgeous!

Pat said...

I love the sampler beautiful job framing. Did you use glass?

Dawn said...

Yes, there is glass in the frame. I think the glass might make it look a little distorted, but the sampler lays flat...really it does ;-)
I laced the linen to the mounting board.
Hung it today