Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Monday, 4 February 2013

Better Late than Never

Hello friends. I'm KathieB and live near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

I'm an old hand with The Scarlet Letter. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I churned out a number of Marsha's samplers. I stitched in all kinds of poor light and glare--at the pool, at soccer games, and while my children napped. Those Scarlet Letter samplers were constant companions.

Then our family moved from Ohio to Wisconsin. I fell in among quilters, and was waylayed by twenty years of intensive patchwork. The last sampler I had been working on, The Ideal Landscape, was set aside unfinished and has been languishing in my sewing box for all those twenty years.


But I'm back--a couple quilting friends have got me stitching again. They'll be posting here too--FlyawayJil and Debjabo.

I mentioned stitching in poor light and glare a couple paragraphs back because something major has changed in those twenty years--my eyes. I look at my Ideal Landscape and wonder how I ever managed to execute those fiendish queen stitch areas. Twenty years down the road, I seem to need perfect lighting and magnification to do any cross stitch at all. What's with that??



All that remains on my Ideal Landscape is the right side's mirror image of that queen stitch motif shown above. I've already worked and ripped out a thoroughly botched attempt at queen stitch in that area, and am announcing to all that when it is reworked, it will not be queen stitch. It's my project and I can do what I like.

Also note that I stitched a nice 1992 into the sampler. 


That certainly was a highly optimistic estimate of its completion date! I plan to leave that date and add an unobtrusive 2013 in another area. My descendants can figure it out two hundred years from now.

16 comments:

Deb said...

It looks wonderful. I have to tell you that I started this sampler back in 1988 and never finished it. I pull it out every once in a while and look at it and then put it away again. I think that maybe I should give it another chance!!

Lanie said...

Hi Kathie...welcome! Love that you are finishing this piece after 20 years! Look forward to your finish!

Cindy L said...

Welcome Kathie! What a lovely piece. It looks like you are so close to finishing it.

Angie Burrett said...

Hello Kathie: how good to be re-inspired 20 years on! And you sew whatever stitches suits you and your eye-sight - I do the same I am also a patchwork addict - a balancing act of two passions! I buy myself strong classes (+3.5 or +4) and everything becomes a whole lot clearer - the stitch count of the fabric opens up before my eyes! Enjoy and good luck, I shall look forward to seeing your progress.

Kathy said...

Your sampler is lovely! It will look so pretty hanging on your walls.

I got a kick out of your story on the dates and your descendants!!

Gabi said...

What a beautiful sampler.
And you're right with the eye sight. These days I need good light and often a magnifier as well.

Vera said...

Love your story and the two dates will be great on the sampler! And, yes, magnification needed always...age is a wonderful thing isn't it? Welcome to the group.

Cheri said...

LOL, love the date story. Your stitching history is almost like mine, cross stitching 20 some years ago and quilting since then. Welcome to the group, it is very inspiring.

Elizabeth said...

I am sure you will be glad your have got this beautiful sampler out again. It's nice to have a wee bit of history attached to it too.

Nicola said...

A very warm welcome Kathie.

I had not seen The Ideal Landscape before but have fallen in love with it.

I enjoyed reading your post and am so pleased that you have been inspired to complete this beautiful sampler.

Katherine said...

My goodness, you make "falling in" with quilters sound like a bad thing - like they were street thugs that forced you to do patchwork while you unpacked in Wisconsin! I'll bet you have some lovely quilts to show after your twenty years of absence from stitching. But, gosh, that's a beautiful sampler! Too funny about the 1992 date. I look forward to more of your posts.

anniebeez said...

This is SO gorgeous and I'm glad you are back to it! The great thing about samplers is they never go out of style! They are just as gorgeous today as they were in 1992!

brod'attitude said...

Very very beautiful welcome

woolwoman said...

welcome back to stitching samplers ! What a neat story and yes sadly - things do change in 20 years don't they. We're glad to have you here. Loved seeing your masterpiece. Melody

Inguna said...

Great, that you have decided to finish this beautiful sampler! Thank you for close-ups.

Jane in Wisconsin said...

Love your beautiful sampler..........and I especially enjoyed your story about falling with a group of quilters! Several of us also have a problem with our eyes.........guess we should just be glad we can see anything.