Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 28 February 2013

Margret Gatis is Getting Close

The summary description of the Margret Gatis sampler does not indicate how old Margret was when she stitched this piece, but I'm pretty sure she was several decades younger than I am.  But that does not diminish my sense of accomplishment at conquering another intricate band in her sampler.  Even though I've done a lot of cutwork and I love hardanger, it's always a little nerve wracking to cut threads in a piece you've been working on for so long. So I am relieved that I only had a couple of minor cutting errors that were easily repaired. 
 Following a needleweaving chart is a little different from a cross stitch chart and requires more focus.  If you fill one of the blocks incorrectly, you better find it quickly because you can't just cut out that stitch and fix it.  You have to unstitch back to the error to correct it, hence the extra focus.  And I spend a lot of time anchoring/hiding the tails too, since the whole section is so open.  It's time consuming, but so very effective.

Now, after all that, you'd think I was proclaiming this piece finished.  Not yet. I have one more band of satin stitch before I can claim true victory.
 

21 comments:

Stitch Wizard said...

This sampler is just stunning Tommye and you are doing such beautiful work on it. Those specialty areas look kind of hard to do, but you are mastering them quite nicely. It is gorgeous!

Pat L said...

Wow--Just beautiful!

PoundingSand said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I would be terrified of the cutwork, but it's such a lovely effect. Thanks for sharing.

Kate

Angela Cruz-Garcia said...

Just amazing. Such wonderfully detailed work. You are such and inspiration to try more complicated stitching

Dawn said...

She is GORGEOUS!!!! Can't wait to see her finished.

Dawn M

MoonBeam said...

Wow, this is beautiful! So is your stitching. Great work.

Bobbi

Erica near Chicago said...

Amazing work! Thank you for the close-up photos.

Lori said...

This is truly stunning! I keep seeing samplers I want to stitch and now this is one of them. Beautiful work - you must be so proud!
Lori

Jenny said...

Tommye, Your sampler is simply BEAUTIFUL! It just takes my breath away to see all of this intricate work. You have done a wonderful job.

Tommye said...

Thanks for the kinds words. I will admit there's been a lot of swearing, but I do love a challenge.

Gwen said...

Your work looks great. The finish is just around the corner.

KathieB said...

Absolutely beautiful work. What an accomplishment!

Lanie said...

Tommye, your work is amazing! The cutwork section is beautiful! Look forward to seeing the completed piece ... what an accomplishment!

Nicola said...

I am going to ditto everything already said Tommye.

You must be so proud of Miss Gatis

Deb said...

Beautiful work. I can't imagine doing that needle weaving! It's so pretty!

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Tommye,

Thanks for all the great photos.

Your work is stunning.

Leona S said...

Tommye, this sampler is amazing. You are an inspiration. I love all the detail and the colours are beautiful.
Leona

Cindy L said...

Tommye, your stitching is absolutely gorgeous!

Kathy said...

Beautiful, beautiful stitching!!

Faye said...

Oh my! It's stunning!!!!!

Fiona said...

Margaret looks amazing.