Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Matilda Ann Charles is in my hoop........

......and I am so happy to finally be stitching her. For you see Matilda Ann and I have a history ( albeit a small one) but a history none the less. Here is our story.
      I love samplers and like many of you, I love stitching reproduction samplers. The history behind these samplers really interests me and the time I spend stitching on them brings peace to my soul. I have fallen in love with all the A and E samplers that I have seen on line over the last year and so I decided I would stitch one as a New Years start. But which one? How do you choose? So I spent some time online searching Adam and Eve samplers. This search lead me to a wonderful post by Paulette at Plum Street Samplers. She posted pictures of so many beautiful A and E samplers, all stitched by the same woman. Oh what eye candy!!!! Anyway this one sampler just called out to me. I could only see the bottom half of the sampler but I was so touched by this sampler. Obviously a young girl had stitched this. I loved that the middle band above the Tree of Life was slightly crooked, I loved the little birds peeking out of the tree, and I loved how she stitched the long verse on either side of the tree. This was my New Years start. However no matter how much I enlarged the picture on my computer I could not read a name on the sampler. So now the search was on!
        And then Nicola started her Scarlet Letter year...and all of these beautiful samplers were being created by all of these talented stitchers. I have long admired Scarlet Letter samplers and this was the push I needed to finally stitch one....so off to the SL site I went to find a sampler to stitch. I had not located the one sampler I was looking for but I figured I could certainly find one by Scarlet Letter .....and oh could I! 
        While searching Marsha's site one afternoon I came across this sampler that looked familiar( at least the bottom half did, LOL). Could this be? Oh be still my heart....is this the sampler? A quick hop back to Paulette's blog confirmed it. There was the band that was slightly crooked, there were the birds peeking out of the tree, and yes there was the long verse stitched on either side of the Tree of Life! I had found her....and Matilda Ann Charles was her name. She arrived right before Valentine's Day and I started stitching her on 2-18-13. 
        So here is my start on Matilda Ann Charles 1819.


Matilda Ann Charles
stitched on 28 count mystery linen
Using the suggested DMC threads


I have really enjoyed working on her this week. I have to say I am having so much fun being a part of this SAL and seeing all these beautiful samplers come to life. Until next time....Happy Stitching everyone.

~Jenny~

12 comments:

Kim Hummel said...

Matilta is so pretty. So happy you were able to locate the mystery sampler. Looking forward to the next progress pictures

Nicola said...

I loved reading your post about how you came to be stitching your sampler. I think you were destined for Matilda.

KB said...

What a wonderful story and so happy that you found Matilda,, Your stitching is beautiful.. looking forward to seeing more.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Hello Jenny,

Your story was wonderful. I am glad you were re-united with Matilda.

Your stitching is beautiful.

Barbara

Bhooma said...

I loved reading your story!

Great stitching too!

Dawn said...

This is coming along nicely and what a wonderful story.

Jennifer H said...

Jenny,

What a sweet story! Isn't it a great feeling to be connected to something that moves you? Beautiful stitching, and I can't wait to see more of her!

Hugs and Love,
Jennifer H

Stitch Wizard said...

Your stitching is really beautiful and this is such a pretty project too. I love the colors too!!

MoonBeam said...

Loved your background story and your photos are wonderful. Look forward to seeing more.

Bobbi

Cindy L said...

Your stitching is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Fiona said...

I loved reading your post and the colours in Matilda are stunning.

Carolien said...

Hi Jenny, I love your story of the search for that charming sampler ... It looks great already! Happy stitching, my dear friend. I can see you stitching near the Christmas tree ;)

(As you can see I am really trying to catch up with everything ...)

Hugs from us all, Carolien