Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 13 February 2013

More filling, and a question

Rachel has acquired some more filling: the first three bands are now done, except for bullion knots at the base of the large flower heads.  I don't want to roll the bulk of the knots on the scroll frame, so I'll do them last.

Rachel Jarratt


30 ct Parchment (Legacy) with Soie d'Alger

In Band 4, I'm taking some liberties with the directions, which are to fill everything with vertical counted satin stitches.  (The 4-thread ranks of stitches in the flower petals are part of the original sampler.)   I'm horrified at the idea of two-inch-long floating stitches in the pansy stem and have substituted fishbone stitch, then had it separate and turn the corner into satin at the bottom.  I wish I could find a good picture of the original sampler, but the Fitzwilliam Museum doesn't have one available online.

Now for the question...for the experienced sampler stitchers, when you're starting from a chart rather than a kit, how do you estimate how much floss you will need?

I guessed okay on most, have a couple of extra skeins I won't need, and am short on three.  Turns out that two of them are used to solidly fill some background areas, which I didn't notice on the chart photo and are not drawn on the chart, only given in the line-by-line directions.  (Yes, I am one of those people who carefully reads the directions only after I get in trouble.)

Many, many, MANY thanks to Nicola and to sewandso.co.uk for the discount offer on silk threads - very timely and much appreciated!

Kate

6 comments:

Fiona said...

Your sampler looks great. I love how the flower petals look and your adaptation for the stem looks perfect.

Nicola said...

I am so glad the discount has come in handy. Your sampler is outstanding.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I just love this sampler - I ordered the chart after I saw your first blog post showing it.

Lanie said...

Wow Kate, this is an amazing sampler! Your stitching is beautiful. I am not a good "estimater" so unless the chart indicates if additional skeins are needed I am usually scrambling to purchase more as I'm coming to the finish... hopefully in same dye lot!

Tommye said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I'd put off the bullions as long as possible too, but mostly because I have such a hard time being consistent with them.

Great job. Can't wait to see more.

Erica near Chicago said...

Kate, I usually start with one skein per color (or less if I'm taking partial skeins from my stash and it appears from the pattern that the color isn't used much). The only time I purchase more than one skein at the start is if there is a large area to be filled with the color--or if there is a wide border and I want to make sure that the color is consistent on all four sides. If the color is scattered, I don't worry about needing to buy more later and perhaps ending up with a different dye lot.