Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Saturday, 9 March 2013

Cross Stitch Awakening




My cross stitch awakening, along with my love of quilting, came from my Mother. I can remember her teaching me and a couple girlfriends how to do some basic embroidery stitches during one summer break when we were probably 11 or 12. On just a piece of white cotton we did a line of cross stitches, stem stitches, blanket stitches, and a few others I don't remember. I love this topic you have started Nicola because it gave me a chance to go dig in my cedar chest and find this wonderful little sampler. My mother made this when she was around ten to twelve years old, in the early 1940s. The verse says:

Of all the roads
That wind and wind
The best of all
Leads home we find"


I have had fun trying to find out more about it this weekend. On the bottom of the sampler is printed "sampler no 553 made in the USA by Vogart. My internet research found the Vogart company made embroidery transfers for dish towels and pillow cases etc. From 1920 to the 1940s they also made cross stitch sampler preprinted on linen. I found an old newspaper ad for J W Woolworth selling a like sampler in 1941 for 49 cents.



I did counted cross stitch many, many years ago. I also dug this sampler out of the cedar chest. I made it in 1978. It is done on hardanger cloth with one thread of DMC. I made up the design myself because I liked the Irish blessing poem I put on it. I used to sign my initials "CW" by turning the "C" on its side over the "W" so it would look like a little flower. The "C" is done in a pale yellow, it barely shows on this picture.



Anyways, many years of quilting along with an occasional counted cross stitch project have followed. There have been no samplers until I stumbled upon Nicola's blog and the Scarlet Letter samplers, I love the historical nature of them. I am, however, not completely sold on stitching on linen yet.
Mary Ann Hutton continues to be a joy to work on, as is reading all of your posts and personal blogs.



Happy Stitching All,
Cheri
(At the end of week 4)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the samplers that you shared. The one your Mother made is really special.

Nicola said...

A wonderful post Cheri, how precious your Mum's sampler is.

Miss Hutton is looking good. Her colours are so beautiful.

KathieB said...

How lucky you are to have the embroidery done by your mother. It's wonderful.

Fiona said...

Great story, thanks for sharing. It is really great that yo have these first pieces to look back on.