Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Tuesday, 19 March 2013

How I got started?

First, congratulations to all the recent winners!  What fun to see so many wonderful prizes, but especially to read so many interesting, touching, funny, and inspiring stories!

I don't know how or when I became interested in stitching.  I have always admired artistic people and their products, all sorts of them.  In the early nineties (1992 or '93?), I decided I just had to do a project in one of the books my mother got in the mail.  It was a very ambitious project.  While I enjoyed it tremendously, I was just out of school, working nights, and very busy in the daytime.  Then I moved to New York, a dream come true!  There I loved my volunteer job, worked crazy amounts, met my sweet husband, my mother became ill, etc etc etc . . .   All those years my cross stitch sat folded up in a bag.  Finally, in approx 2007 or 2008 my sisters and I decided to bring stitching projects on a group vacation to enjoy the evenings of visiting once children were tucked in bed.  That is the first time my project had seen daylight in over a decade!  It was a lot of fun to talk and laugh while stitching.  Still, I didn't make regular time to work on my project.  Eventually, I couldn't wait to finish it. Done in 2011!!!


Then the desire to start something new grew and grew.  I couldn't find a cross stitch store anywhere near where I lived, so I started a needlepoint project in late 2011 and enjoyed a few of those.  I loved learning new stitches and was amazed to learn how many there were (I mostly read about them, only worked my way through a few).  My trouble was finding a project that had a stitch guide and that I could afford.  Well, I have babbled long enough.  I enjoyed reading about different stitching projects and stumbled onto a blog that had the emblem for Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year.  This was during a very sad period that took me totally by surprise.  I was fascinated by the blog entries and then blown away by the beautiful samplers by The Scarlet Letter!  Nicola and Jo were unbelievable kind and welcoming when I contacted them.  I am loving following both the blogs and feel so fortunate to have found this amazing "place" full of talented, friendly, motivating, and inspirational people!

Sadly, I have only put about 40 stitches in Rebecca Robinson since my last post a couple of weeks ago.   That has been terribly disappointing!  I am desperate to get back to work on her!  We have had so much company and work has been a real challenge.  Still, it was wonderful to see Faye's amazing progress and absolutely lovely work on her RR!!!   Perhaps this week will be one for staying up late stitching . . .

8 comments:

Debjabo said...

What a lovely piece. So glad you have joined the fun- can't wait to see your progress!
Deb

Jenny said...

I have admired that sampler for years.......it is absolutely wonderful to see it stitched. You did a beautiful job. I'm glad you have joined the fun....Rebecca Robinson is another beautiful sampler and it will be fun to see your progress.

Angie Burrett said...

Your sampler is beautiful Rachel - and once you get going on RR you will be so proud of yourself. Sadly life "outside" this cross-stitching world can take over! But our hobbies are so important - especially when everything in life seems a bit bleak and sad. Our threads are constant - always there to be picked up and give us comfort. Good luck, I shall look forward to reading about your progress. x

Nicola said...

I very enjoyable post Rachel. Life does get in the way of stitching but as long as you find some time even if it is only a few threads a day you will progress.

Stitching brings harmony and order to my day.

Cheri said...

Your sunflower sampler is just beautiful, what a wonderful history it has of your stitching story.

Kathy said...

Really pretty sampler!!

Kaisievic said...

Great post and such a gorgeous sampler.

Fiona said...

I enjoyed reading how you got started. Stitching is always a great way of relaxing for me, so glad you found your way back to it.