Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Monday, 11 March 2013

Lady and the Castle non-update

Hello everyone,

I didn't touch Lady and the Castle this past weekend except to experiment with taking a photograph using the camera in my computer:


Here's what I posted in a comment to Nicola's question about our stitching history:

Nicola, I learned to cross stitch early in life but spent most of my school years knitting and crocheting. The first sampler I did was the Chase Sampler which I think was a stamped kit associated with Colonial Williamsburg. I looked at other samplers after that but most seemed simple and unauthentic. It wasn't until I came across a small black & white magazine ad from SL (in Colonial Homes?) that I saw the detail I was looking for. I'm becoming increasingly fascinated with 17th century tent stitch pictures of biblical figures, especially those with multiple scenes such as this from the life of Abraham: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/64.101.1306 I'd like to try my hand at a smaller version of one of these someday....

Here is the Chase:


And another stamped sampler (KathieB posted a picture of hers as well, but I never added a verse or my name and date.)



Mrs. I.E. was my first SL project. I loved the precision of the double running stitch:


  

And here in no particular order are a few other SL projects. Nothing is framed, so nothing lies flat. (Next time I'll remember to lay things out on a white sheet....)


Wisdom and Innocence   --   Ann Scutt  
Pattern Record   --   Martha Salter


Jean Scrimgeowr


 Hannah Trecothick

And all was for an appil


Grace Catlin
(my first ever silk project)

13 comments:

MoonBeam said...

Erica, your history and attitude about samplers is so interesting, and has obviously paid great rewards. Your many finishes are ambitious and beautiful.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Bobbi

PoundingSand said...

These are lovely! It must be glorious to see them all out together.

A storage thought: you might consider storing them rolled around some sort of tube. It sounds weird, but swimming pool foam "noodles" work well. Cut the length you want, and then wrap them in aluminum foil (you don't want the needlework to come in direct contact with the foam, because you don't know exactly what chemicals are used in the foam, and you don't want anything to react with the dyes in your embroidery). Then just roll the samplers gently around the cylinders (you can also lay them out on clean cotton muslin or acid-free tissue paper and roll them paper/fabric and all).

This will keep them flat and smooth, and not take up a lot of storage room.

Kate
(who worked in a museum collections area for awhile)

Nicola Parkman said...

OHH have I enjoyed looking at your samplers. BEAUTIFUL. Mrs IE particularly caught my eye. is IE the proper title I very much want to stitch her.

Nicola Parkman said...

OHH have I enjoyed looking at your samplers. BEAUTIFUL. Mrs IE particularly caught my eye. is IE the proper title I very much want to stitch her.

Erica near Chicago said...

Pounding Sand - I keep them rolled up in large piece of unbleached cotton, but not around a cylinder. I should definitely try that. Nicola - The piece is "Mrs. I.E": http://scarlet-letter.com/samplers/mrsie.php

Nicola Parkman said...

Sorry it is not that one it is the picture above

Erica near Chicago said...

Nicola, If you are wanting to know about the one done in wool with the wide borders and a blank space where a verse or name should have gone, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I have no idea who made the kit. KathieB posted a picture of hers last Friday (Mar. 8) under the title "My sampler history." The date on hers is 1975. My kit would have been purchased in the early or mid-1970s as well. I tried doing a Google image search, but nothing came up.

KathieB said...

Erica--wasn't the crewel border on that stamped piece a killer? Yours looks super. I also saw in a magazine article that Amy Butler has the same piece framed on her wall--she said her grandma stitched it. That makes me feel pretty ancient.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Erica - fabulous samplers!


I think the one you all are talking about was a Paragon Kit.
I recently saw the kit on ebay.

SusanIL said...

The sampler with the wool is a stamped kit by Paragon from the 70s. It's a "reproduction" of the Ann E. England sampler (picture of the original on p. 496 of Vol. II of Betty Ring's 2 volume set). My Mom has this kit and remembered what it was.

FlyawayJil said...

THEY'RE NOT FRAMED???
I'll admit I have a few pieces that aren't yet framed, but Erica, these are monumental projects, and should be appreciated!

Erica near Chicago said...

Thank you so much for identifying the piece!

Fiona said...

I really enjoyed reading your history and seeing a photographic record of your sampler stitching.