Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Friday, 8 March 2013

My First Reproduction Sampler

This is my very first reproduction sampler.  This is Sarah Elizabeth Brooke and this was the one that inspired me to want to do reproduction samplers.My husband Jerry built the frame for me and he matted and framed it for me too.It now hangs on our livingroom wall.

  I have always loved needlework and I used to embroidery pillow cases as a little girl.   It seems that needlework has always been a part of me .  It wasn't until 1981 that I went into a needlecraft store and a lady asked me if I had ever tried cross stitch.  She had me stitch a small red heart on aida cloth and I was hooked.  I now stitch on linen after getting my magnifying light.

 I think about the young girls that stitched these beautiful samplers back in the 1700-1800's and even before that and I have a vision of a girl sitting on her front porch or near a flower garden and stitching a sampler.  I wonder how they came up with the beautiful things we see on the antique samplers and what life must have been like back then.  It is fascinating to think of the history surrounding reproduction samplers and I am just hooked on them now.  I want to stitch more of them.   I am so happy that these original samplers are being charted for all of us to stitch in today's fabrics and threads and allow all of us to put our own work into them to enjoy!!

5 comments:

Merry Wind Farm said...

What a beautiful sampler, your stitching is just magnificent! And also what a gorgeous frame your hubby made for you. I think that rather than sitting in their garden, they were sitting in the classrooms of their female academies, being taught the gentle arts. The samplers we covet and stitch today were done by the daughters of very well off families who could afford school for their daughters. At a time where the average house was valued at $100, a semester of female schooling was over $30.
Melinda

Stitch Wizard said...

That so interesting Melinda. I just don't know much about the history of any of it and it is amazing to me. Kids today are so into video games and other things and you don't often hear of them learning to do needlework. I wish we could have learned to do that in school but I of course never went to one that taught needlework. That would have been heavenly to me. My family was not wealthy either so that is something I never thought of. Thank you for sharing that as I find it all to be fascinating. Thank you also for your nice compliment on my stitching! I wish I was a little faster but I am going to try two handed stitching sometime to see how that works out!

Cheri said...

Beautiufl sampler and a beautiful verse.

KathieB said...

Your Sarah Elizabeth Brooke is lovely. When you say needlework is a part of you, I surely do understand. <3

Fiona said...

Sarah looks great, I think I have her in my stash. I never realised how lucky I was until I read about not being taught needlework/handwork in school. We did it 2 or 3 afternoons a week from around age 8.