Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Saturday, 9 March 2013

Remembering when it all started...

Hello Everyone. I love reading all the stories about how we all started cross-stitching and our shared love of reproduction samplers. Every sampler has its own story and it is so much to fun to read about them and to get to know the stitcher a little bit more too...

When I was a little girl one of the things I loved best was to visit my Grandparents homes. I loved to spend time there, baking cookies with my maternal Grandma and learning needlework from my paternal Grandma. All of their " old things" were really special to me. I especially loved a glass figurine of a nurse in a starched white apron and nurses hat ( this reminded me of my maternal Grandmother, who was a nurse and served in WWI) and the afghans my paternal Grandmother would knit or crochet. I also loved the stories of days gone by......

Anyway....my Grandmother taught me how to knit, crochet and do needlepoint when I was a young girl. I was introduced to cross-stitch by a very dear friend who cross-stitched our ring bearer's pillow for our wedding. It was beautiful. I started out small but when my husband and I moved to Indiana there was a cross-stitch shop ( The Stitching Post) where beautiful samplers hung on all of the walls and patterns were everywhere!!!!! I was immediately drawn to the samplers that looked like the samplers from long ago. ( no surprise there...LOL...). I loved our family history so my first real sampler was from a Cross-Stitch and Country Crafts Magazine. It looked like an antique sampler and as I stitched this, it brought back all the stories from my past. I loved it. I was hooked! 


This picture of the sampler is from the magazine, because the real sampler is hanging up in my Mom and Dad's house. They do not live close enough to" run over" to take a picture, but I think you get the idea...winks... I gave this sampler to my Mom as a Christmas gift in the late 80's. To this day this sampler is probably one of my favorites. It reminds me of my family connections and it shares with my children the history of our family. Since then I have stitched many samplers. Wedding samplers, baby samplers and samplers for special people in my life. However I am mostly drawn to samplers with a history,either my family history or reproduction samplers with histories all there own. Either way, I love knowing that the names stitched on my samplers live on every time someone looks at them and that in some small way they will not be forgotten.

Thanks for reading my story. I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend filled with the things you love. 

~Jenny~

11 comments:

Debbie Bauer said...

Oh Jenny! Such a lovely heart touching story.

Nicola said...

Beautiful post Jenny, thank you for sharing your stitching journey.

Aren't grandmothers the greatest. I loved my Nana so much and she is very much part of me.

KathieB said...

Love the idea of a family register.

Elizabeth said...

What a lovely story. It is so nice to know that your family history will live on.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great stories, Grandparents can be such a good influence on children and so important in their development.
I love the family record too.

Kathy said...

Thanks sharing your story. This is such a lovely sampler to have as an heirloom!!

brod'attitude said...

Many thanks for your story

Cheri said...

How nice it has been to think about our stitching beginnings and our grandmothers and mothers influence. Lovely family sampler.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Jenny,

Thanks for sharing your heart-felt story.

Beautiful sampler.

Fiona said...

Great story. My maternal grandmother taught me how to knit when I was around 4 years old. I hope that when I become a grandparent that I can provide such lasting memories for my grandchildren.

Carolien said...

So good to read this, a wonderful post, Jenny!