Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Sunday, 24 March 2013

Spending Time with Matilda....

......and loving every minute of it. She is a wonderful sampler to stitch and I look forward to spending some time with her each day. Like many of you, I wonder about Matilda, about what she was like. She was 14 when she stitched this sampler and lived in England.  I wonder what she thought about, dreamed about and wished for at that age. I am assuming that she stitched this sampler while at school, and so I can imagine her sitting beside a window, watching what was happening outside. Was it snowing then? Was it Spring? Were the birds flitting about, were the bees lazily flying from flower to flower? Or, were there sheep on a hill with their shepherd, a busy street with people walking to and fro doing what needed to be done before returning home? Or maybe there were boats in a harbour? 

Anyway, I do think she was patient because she sits very patiently in my stitching tray, watching me go about my day, knowing that when time allows, I will pick her up and add a few stitches. I love seeing her sitting there, by my stitching chair, waiting......and it makes me smile knowing that when my day slows down I will have time to work on her and that some more progress will be made....sometimes a lot.....sometimes a little....but progress just the same.


I also think that she was creative. I love her unusual carnation border with all the curly-Q's in it. Just when I think I have that pattern down.....grins....she will add or delete a stitch or two.......


I also think she had a sense of humour. Let me introduce all of you to William. He is the very distinguished bird on the top, middle part of the sampler. After I stitched him, he became my little stitching companion, keeping me company, watching my stitches and reminding me to count carefully and to WATCH the GRAPH because he would rather not have a lot of " frogs" attend our stitching party. I could not agree with him more...winks...


So here is the progress I have made on Matilda Ann Charles so far. I am excited because now I can start on the middle band that drew me to this sampler in the first place. It is slanted, above the Tree of Life, so William has reminded to count carefully...


I also wanted to thank all of you that have left such kind comments on my last few posts. They were really wonderful and I appreciate them so much. Blogging is a new experience for me, and it really means a lot to have all of you reach out and encourage not only me, but everyone else as well.

All of your samplers are beautiful and I admire all of your stitching. I feel the way so many of you do, that this is such a wonderful experience, to be connected all over the world with fellow stitchers that share the same passion for samplers. Whether this is your first sampler or one of many, it truly is a blessing to be sharing this journey with you. May all of you have a wonderful week, filled with all the things that bring you joy. Happy Stitching Everyone!

~Jenny~

11 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Gorgeous and William is adorable!

samplerlover said...

Have always liked this sampler. Love your William :) he looks wonderful as does the rest of your sampler.

Evelyne said...

very beautiful your sampler.

donnacrafts said...

What stitch count are you using for this sampler. Your work is just outstanding.

Donna TN

Debbie Bauer said...

Lovely post and your sampler is beautiful!

Cheri said...

That top band is beautiful. I can see why you did all that careful counting, the border is very detailed. These young girls who originally stitched these samplers continue to amaze me.
Happy Stitching Jenny

Nicola said...

A lovely post Jenny and I am so pleased that you are enjoying the year.

Matilda is growing and I can totally relate to your comments about her being there and something to look forward to. I feel the same way too when I pass my frame during the day.

Faye said...

Honestly, I don't think I remember seeing Matilda before.... But after viewing your gorgeous photos, especially that of William, I MUST now go yo th SL site and take another look.... My Rebecca Robinson is over half done, and is hate to not have another SL sampler waiting in the wings! Wonderful colors in this piece.....

Kathy said...

Jenny, I loved reading your post and thinking along with you about what Matilda might have been doing and thinking where ever she was when she stitched this. It's so pretty and your stitching looks pretty as well. Can't wait to see more progress!!

Angie Burrett said...

You are so right Jenny, it gives me a tingling feeling wondering about the young girl who had sewn the original all those years ago. But that is part of the fun of what we do and now we are making the new heirlooms.
Have a good week!

Pat L said...

I am really liking the sampler you are working on. It is getting more lovelier with each post.