Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 4 April 2013

Sarah Stuart Update

Hello my SLY friends!

So I'm moving into my fourth month with Sarah Stuart. I'd like to predict a finish by the end of the month, but I don't know! I've reached the bottom of the sampler, but there is a lot of stitching to do before I proclaim Miss Sarah finished.


For now, I must concentrate on the two large trees that frame the big red house. Both trees are stitched free hand using stem stitch. A bit daunting! I was never an "A" student in art classes and my lack of artistic abilities haunts me ... I do much better stitching little "x's"! But I want to overcome my hesitation to stitch certain samplers just because of the free hand stitching involved. So onward we go! In the end they may be only "B- or C+" trees, but they will be mine.


Since my last post, the over 1 verse has been finished.


The final bricks on the big red house have been stitched ... the remaining windows and mortar between the bricks I have let go for now. Those areas are perfect  for days when I just need some mindless stitching.


There are a few little areas that I need to go back and fill in with tiny birds and crowns. And I am still contemplating how I will incorporate both Sarah's and my name. I have altered the blank area below the verse, and that is where I'm planning to stitch our names.

Oh dear, as I'm typing this it is sounding like much still needs to be done! Hmmmmm, maybe I'll be walking back that "end-of-month"  prediction!

So, my friends, that is about all for now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again .... thank you to all who make the SLY so much fun. Your beautiful stitching, your enthusiasm for reproduction samplers, and your friendship here on the blogs continues to be a delightful source of inspiration!


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lanie

18 comments:

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Lanie,
So beautiful! I really need to stitch this. Your over one verse is exquisite, and I think your trees are looking wonderful! The colors look even prettier than they do on the chart, your linen really sets them off!!
Melinda

MoonBeam said...

Great progress....you're in the home stretch for sure. I wouldn't feel comfortable with ending up with free form either. We're too used to knowing where we're going without thinking too hard about it.

Good luck. I'll be anxious to see how you do...maybe by the end of the month. Have fun with it.

Bobbi

Nicola said...

So beautiful Lanie, a huge well done on your progress. Free hand is always daunting after the safety of our little x's.

donnacrafts said...

Your sampler is absolutely beautiful. I am sure your free hand will be perfect. Enjoy!!

Deb said...

This sampler looks so wonderful. I never realized that the colors were so nice in this one. Definitely one I'll have to consider in the future. Love the grass also - give the piece some great texture.

Kevin said...

What a beautiful sampler you're stitching. And kudos to you for stitching those trees freehand! I'm sure they will look TERRIFIC when you're done. Keep up the great work!

Jenny said...

Lanie your sampler is absolutely wonderful. I love the colors in this one and your over one verse is beautiful. Three cheers on the trees.......they are looking great so far. I see a finish before to long.........happy stitching!

Diana said...

Lanie - I love you trees so far and all the rest too

Krista said...

Sarah Stuart is looking quite spectacular!

Angie Burrett said...

Lanie, this piece of work is amazing - your stitching looks perfect - will look forward to seeing your freehand work - it is a real challenge compared to our beloved cross-stitch, but will be worth it I am sure.

Cindy L said...

Lanie, your stitching is so beautiful! Love your free hand trees so far-a task I have not encountered yet. The colors just pop on this piece.

Ellen said...

Lanie,

Sarah is looking wonderful! She is in my "to do someday" basket. I particularly like the bright, cheerful colors and the house. Good luck on those trees--what you have so far looks great.

Did you know that there's a Sarah Stuart mug? I bought 4 sampler mugs years ago at the Fitzwilliam. I think the SL also has them.

Faye said...

Lanie..... Sarah is just beautiful!!! Mad look at all the over one you ave done...... It look great!

llknbillburg said...

Your sampler is sooo beautiful!! I must confess that the freehand part has kept me from ordering this one. You are very brave!!! Laura

Vera said...

This is stunning Lanie -- so beautiful. Well done!!

H and T said...

Lanie, your colors on this are so bright and vivid. Would you mind sharing the changes you made from the original? I especially love the greens you are using in place of the browns. It really makes the piece come alive.

Thank you,
Heather

Kathy said...

Lanie, this is soooooo pretty. If I were judging I'd give you an "A". Great work!! Beautiful colors.

Fiona said...

Great progress on Sarah. Your tree looks fine to me.