Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Stitching through the sea of fire

It has been an interesting month here in Seoul, Korea. With all this talk of our imminent destruction in a massive sea of fire, I thought I would start out with the ground truth. It is cherry blossom season and what joy the sight of these trees bring me. This is the park next to our base on my Sunday walk this afternoon.


While the international media is having a field day hyping the threat, we are pretty much living our lives as normal here on the main U.S. military base in Seoul. That said, as I work for the big U.S. military command here, my job has kept me busy, but not as busy as others, such as my husband. I will say that busy or not, the work is very rewarding and the people I work with, uniformed and civilian, are truly the salt of the earth.

My stitching time has definitely suffered this past month due both to work and commitment stitching, but mainly work. I don't seem to have the physical and mental energy, nor the mindset, to sit and stitch at the end of the day. However, I am not complaining. I know this "crisis" will pass and things will be back to normal. Soon I hope.

I had hoped to be done with the central house motif on Lucretia Maus this month, and almost got there. The darn white mortar has slowed me down. It isn't particularly fun. However, it is almost done and I can move forward soon. Most of the house is over one, which creates a lovely effect.


Thank you all for your continued inspiration. I really enjoy seeing the lovely work being created.

Heather

15 comments:

Nicola said...

I am so pleased to hear from you. It has been most worrying what is being said on the news and I have been thinking of you and Vera's son.

WOW, WOW, WOW - Lucretia is STUNNING.

Julierose said...

This is coming along so well--lovely work! Julierose

Faye said...

First, it is good to hear you guys are carrying with your normal lives... I live very near Fort Bragg NC, so many of children in my classroom have parents servings the military... Know we are all very close there with you.... Secondly, I love this samplers queen stitches! They are beautiful and ALOT of them.... Nice progress and I look forward to your next update..... Faye, carolinastitcher

Carmen Sutton said...

Enjoy the beauty around you and hopefully the crazy train will slow down and people will realize the insanity of it all. We will pray for it to be so.
I love your sampler I have this pattern and am wondering why is it not stitched yet.

Cheri said...

Bless you and the folks you work with, both uniformed and civilian. You are a voice of calm and I am glad you can find moments of peace and beauty around you. Those slow stitching parts will soon be completed and then you will get to enjoy that beautifully completed section every time you get a chance to pick up the sampler. Take care, Cheri

Diana said...

It looks wonderful & stay safe too. My oldest son was also there awhile back for the USA

Joke said...

Heather, it's good to know that the threat isn't effecting all aspects of life. Take care, stay safe. Lovely stitching!

Jenny said...

Heather it is so good to hear from you. The cherry blossoms are beautiful but more important it brought you joy during this crazy time. Your sampler is absolutely beautiful as well. Stay safe and know that I am so grateful for the service you provide. Thank you!

Bhooma said...

Heather,

So glad to hear that you are OK. I have been thinking a lot about you but didn't want to bother you.

Lucretia is AWESOME. I added it to my wish list LOL

Take care

Bhooma


Debbie Bauer said...

Your Lucretia is beautiful!(love the colors) The cherry blossoms are so pretty. They most certainly would bring joy.Stay safe and know are thoughts are with you.

Lanie said...

Heather it is so good to hear from you! The picture of your park with the cherry trees blooming is beautiful! Stay safe, my friend!

Vera said...

Hi Heather, so good to hear from you! Our son is in S. Korea (about 45 minutes south of Seoul), so have been thinking of him and you recently. Just tonight I received an e-mail from him with similar photos of the cherry blossoms. Lucretia looks FABULOUS!!! Hoping everything eases up for one and all very soon. Know that you are in my thoughts.

H and T said...

Thank you all for your kind words.

Bhooma, you could never ever be a bother to me. Ever. I think about you lots too and hope you are well.

Vera, is your son at Osan or Humphreys? I hope he is faring okay wherever he is.

Yes, hopefully this will all pass VERY SOON.

On an up note, I finished the mortar last night! Yeah!

Take care,
Heather

Fiona said...

Your sampler looks stunning. Hope everything settles down for you soon and as some one else suggested that they realise that the whole situation is nuts.

Krista said...

Lovely progress on your sampler! Good to hear that you are well. Be safe! Thank you for sharing the beautiful picture of the cherry blossoms, a pretty time of year.