Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Monday, 15 April 2013

What should I do?

I have enjoyed Rebecca Robinson thoroughly, until about two weeks ago.  I studied Faye's beautiful completion and realized I must have mislabeled two threads, a brown and a putty.  How did I do that?!  I am a fanatic about quadruple checking things!  Felt I could survive that and just continue with them as is.  You will see the small vase at top left corner is dark putty vs brown.
Then the two greens I had thought were too close in color to seem distinctive in my stitching, looked noticeably different in Faye's.  I was disappointed. I struggled with whether to replace the one green (not the one from all the honeysuckles and grass under house because there was so much of it, but the one that is on the heads of the birds and the flower bases).  I am certain this will cause quite a bit of tearing out of stitching as all the thread tails to the petals in the large arrangement are buried in the flower base.  What should I do?!  I wanted to tear it out, but knew I might regret the outcome, so I put her away.  I took her out today for photos and a request for advice.  Here is my progress to two weeks ago:
Here are the two greens that came with the kit:
The one on the right is supposed to be the accent color in the bases of the large flowers in the vase.  Can you see any difference?  Only in very bright lighting at a certain angle can I tell at all.  The humming bird attached to the honeysuckle is also 3726 green where the honeysuckle is in 1846 green.
I have missed working on her and plan to take her out tonight.  Hopefully, I will have new eyes and a settled mind.
Here is my improvisation.  I added my two terriers, Kerry Blue and Wheaten, in place of the little fawns.
Pretty funny!  Hope you are smiling and not choking.  :-)

Now for a great bit of hubris on my part.  Life has been quite busy, but I have filled my quiet moments and stolen minutes with an obsession to plot out my next SL start!  Ridiculous, I know.  I wanted to stitch Sarah Siddall in memory of my Dad.  He was almost always wearing red.  Anyway, never having chosen linen or threads or made any real pattern alterations, or plotted a new verse (let alone finishing lovely RR)  - I dove in!  Adding border length and repositioning motifs -- I must be crazy!  It became an obsession to get it mapped out.  I kept trying and made many mistakes.  I think I at least have enough figured out to start and am praying the repeated counting and measuring and calculating will result in the fabric at least being the right size!

Thank you for all your amazing posts! It was a delight to catch up!

Rachel

12 comments:

santadeb said...

I am working on Rebecca also and have contemplated the same problem with the greens, so little difference but have not torn our or changed, as of yet. You are farther along than I am.

Deb

Rachel said...

Just my opinion....You have personalized two animals...so what is wrong with personalizing the greens? I think it looks fabulous!

Fiona said...

I would carry on stitching Rebecca as your personalisations of her are what make her uniquely yours.

donnacrafts said...

Yes, I agree with Fiona. I would also take into the consideration of the fading of the greens over time. Just a thought. Your work is outstanding.

Jenny said...

I too agree.........Rebecca looks beautiful as she is......Happy Stitching.

A Canny Stitcher said...

I would carry on as you are. The difference is not enough to warrant frogging and she looks lovely as you've stitched her.
Anne

Kaisievic said...

I wouldn't frog anything as it looks gorgeous as it is - and I echo the other sentiments, she is uniquely yours.

Faye said...

It's just beautiful!!! Move forward with it....

Vera said...

Echoing everyone else...move forward. It is all so beautiful and beautifully your own. Enjoy!!

Angie Burrett said...

I think you will regret unpicking - and you have personalised it which is great! Leave well alone, it is looking fantastic as it is. Stop worrying! - Good luck! x

Cindy L said...

I agree with everyone above, the color difference is so slight. I would not frog it but continue on.

Rachel F said...

Thank you all for your advice! I really needed the opinion of experienced stitchers. I knew I was getting bogged down in a detail, but didn't want to regret not pulling stitches if I should have. Putting RR away for a little while helped me, also. I was able to put in a couple small motifs and felt much better about moving forward as is. Perhaps the greens will fade to be a little more noticeable. Thanks again!!!