Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Friday, 17 May 2013

Elizabeth Harborne

And so it starts... Elizabeth Harborne, 1647... thought to be the earliest example of an English band sampler with a verse stitched on it.  It uses a variety of stitches which is what drew me to it - the other SL samplers that I often wonder about 'collecting' are Dorcas Haynes (work in progress), Margaret Gatis 1711, Rachel Jarratt, Eleanor Wycks, Transitional s. and of course Ann Scutt.

So, in January I was still debating if I should buy 40ct. or 35ct. linen in lambswool color... or just use things from my stash...I had already placed AuVerASoie silks into the chart packet long time ago.  Anyway, yesterday the decision was made fairly rapidly thanks to Nicola's incentive/giveaway!  I am using 32 ct. Cream linen from my stash. 

I will try and post pictures of my start... please forgive me if this doesn't quite work out... this is just my 2nd time 'blogging'...
so here goes:
Day 1
May 16,2013
Starting to set up...

The chart... wish the picture was larger 
Band 1... the light blue silk is very light...

A close up... the thinking begins...
Raided my stash to see if the next color # will be better..... problems already - it is very close to the dark blue silk... shown on top in the picture below... 

so then how does DMC compare?...

not much of a difference ...
 decided that I definitely did not like the band in the light blue silk.... did not like the washed out appearance .... so I took it all out...



..next idea was to try alternating the light blue silk with the medium shade I had taken out from my stash..


Completed band... not sure on this either....
End of day 1 (started setting up the sampler at 8pm, had dinner, stitched, took out stuff etc.  and went to bed wondering why I had added this to my plate at this time ....)

Day 2.... decided that I don't particularly like the alternating colors but decided to stitch on ....
then went back to my stash and took out all the silks  I had in that color range....
as you can see below... I am back to 'thinking'... it is all about dye lots.....
do I want Loara Standish sort of blues - which means I'll have to live with the light blue or do I use the two blues on top - same number, different dyelot....

Top to bottom  : L.blue & D. blue -  new dye lot
Middle row : initial colors that I had kitted up long time ago
Bottom left : med. color used in alternating with l.blue
End of Day 2 - not much accomplished... still wondering why I started this !... 
AND it is all Nicola's fault anyway ;)


8 comments:

Nicola said...

I have broad shoulders LOL!!

What an interesting post Nupur. Thank you for sharing this.

Fiona said...

I think I would go with the light blue and dark blue. It will be interesting to see what you decide.

Stitch Wizard said...

From what I can see here, the light and dark blue look pretty to me and I really like it.

N said...

Thanks for your comments but which light blue and dark blue do you like - the new dye lots (on top in the picture) or the originally kitted ones (pictured in the middle)?

PoundingSand said...

I like what you already have done on the sampler. It's delicate and pretty.

The differences in the dye lots are subtle to begin with - by the time you took one single strand out and stitched with it, I don't know that you'd see much of a difference.

Kate



Michele said...

Ha Ha you have no idea how many times I curse Nicola, for getting me into this!!! My stitching life is pretty much planned out thanks to her - fun though ain't it!

Why don't you move on and come back to the blue when you have some other colours in, it might help xx

Bethany said...

I love the way you took so many photo's of your progress and the way you staged everything. Can't wait to see more..

Kevin said...

Great job blogging AND stitching! You look like a PRO at both, to me! Your sampler is very pretty so far!