Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 16 May 2013

Band 4 done

Okay, so it doesn't look much different than it did four days ago.  But now it's DONE.

I tend to pull my working threads tightly, so I thought I might show a small trick I've worked out for doing very narrow satin fills, two threads high, that helps keep them even:
     I "park" a spare needle across the threads to be covered before I start, and then work the satin stitches OVER the needle.  (There are two separate stitches in each opening rather than working with a doubled thread.)
     This lets me snug each thread gently up next to its neighbor for nice, even coverage.  And I can tug firmly on the working thread because the spare needle is reserving some breathing room in the row of stitches.  Once the spare needle is pulled out, there's a tidy little row of satin left in the space.





Rachel Jarratt, Band 4, done.


Kate

17 comments:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Now aren't you the bee's knees? I'm going to remember this trick. Looks really nice, Kate!

Martha S said...

Beautiful stitching--thanks for the hint-it's a great idea.
Martha

Bethany said...

Aren't you just special..... What a wonderful idea and something I will do from now on, when doing satin.

Jenny said...

What an absolutely wonderful idea! Your Rachel is looking lovely....

Angie Burrett said...

Your stitching is so neat, what a great tip to share with us all - thank you...

Debby said...

What a great tip!!!! I hope I remember it when I need it - I stitch a bit too "tight" as well and know it will help.

Carolann Dunaske said...

That's a great Idea...I'll try it tonight.Your stitching is beautiful and now I know why.Thanks!

Deb said...

That's a great idea. I'm going to have to try it the next time I have to do satin stitches. Sometimes they can be a pain to get even!

Nicola said...

Thank you Kate, it is a simple yet fantastic tip. I know that I will use it often.

Rachel is looking superb.

Annette-California said...

What a fabulous tip. Thank you. I will definitely do this next time stitching satin stitches.
love Annette

Vera said...

Thanks for such a great tip -- I knkow I will use it. Your piece is looking beautiful!

Cindy L said...

Kate, thank you so much for the wonderful tip.

Michele said...

Thank you for that fantastic tip. Joanna Warren has loads of beastly 2 over satin's this will be a great help. x

janitam said...

I love it

FlyawayJil said...

Ingenious!

FlyawayJil said...

Ingenious!

Anne said...

Brilliant! I'm going to give this a try when I come across satin stitch!