Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Saturday, 11 May 2013

Beginning...again.

Hello all!  This is my first WIP report for Lucy, however, over these last months I have really enjoyed reading your posts, and seeing your beautiful SL samplers take shape.  I'm amazed at how the simple joy of stitching can unite so many people across so many miles.  Thank you, Nicola, for bringing us all together!
 
Well, my Lucy had a bit of a false start in March because I began stitching her on a lighter-colored linen which, although it looked fine, didn't provide enough of a contrast to maintain the strong graphic quality of the original sampler - the very thing that attracted me to Lucy in the first place.   So, I tracked down this yummy, dark chocolaty 35ct. Weeks linen (Kris' Bon Bon) that I'm quite happy with.  I chuckled when I read that Margaret sometimes eats chocolate while stitching.  No worries about indulging while stitching on this stuff, Margaret, though I haven't tried it myself... yet. :-) 
 
I've deviated a wee bit from the suggested SL thread colors, and I've adjusted the pattern here and there to give Lucy's sampler a more symmetrical look.  I have to admit that the latter initially had me feeling like a bully picking on a poor child, but I've since managed to convinced myself that 'personalizing' my piece is not a criticism of dear Lucy's design efforts.  In fact, every time I sit down to stitch I am in awe of the fact that Lucy was only seven...seven...when she stitched her lovely sampler.  What a girl! 
 
 
 
I see that I'm not the only novice stitcher participating in Nicola's challenge, so I hope you don't mind if I share Kathleen Dyer's wonderful online cross-stitch FAQ tutorial that I've found most helpful.  It is full of great tips for everything from selecting needles and fabric to using variegated threads and mastering one-over-one.  She has generously compiled tons of information complete with a table of contents for easy reference.  Check out  http://home.comcast.net/~kathydyer/index.html .  Happy stitching!

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Thank you for sharing this site with us...I, for one, a novice cross stitcher, can use all the help that's out there. Julierose

Marsha said...

It is a wonderful start. Love your linen choice.

Nicola said...

Your sampler looks stunning on the "chocolate" fabric. Thank you for posting the link.

Scarlet Letter said...

Just curious, why didn't you use the dark green linen, similar to what was used on the original sampler? It will and does look gorgeous on this linen.

Cindy L said...

Pamela, your stitching really shows beautifully on your fabric.

Fiona said...

Like your chocolate linen, Lucy looks pretty on it.