Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Elizabeth Harborne Day 5 - need help with 'critters'

I only had a small amount of time to work on this sampler today.
Here are some of the detailed shots...


Elizabeth Harborne - Day 5
The Song of my Needle

 Holbein - Double Running Stitch - Blackwork

all names for a simple stitch but a simple stitch that promises lots of fun if you want it to!  If you want it to be reversible, or if you want to create a variation of the pattern on the back, then it requires concentration and is much like a maze on paper... you have to figure out a pathway. The beauty of blackwork is that the possibilities are endless, shading, blending, fading out one pattern and introducing another... it is a lot of fun...
In this simple band, to make it fully reversible, I had to work the acorns in two different ways depending on the location of the the red thread at the baseline.   
 

And then this is when  I discovered "critters"!  So what do you think they are ? Pigs perhaps, rabbits, cats, dogs?...
I've never noticed these beasts on any other sampler before... I know that I have never stitched such critters ever and am not sure if I really like them... have to figure out the symbolism on this ... any thoughts?

 
Elizabeth Harborne - Day 5
The Song of my Needle





















Further inspection of the chart revealed some other critters at the base... frogs, goats etc
This sampler is also unusual because a portion of it is stitched upside down - the verse and the beasts arranged in spot motifs are upside down so you could hang this sampler either way.  There must be a reason for this too ... perhaps it was intended for a certain purpose... more to read and investigate.
If you all have any ideas about these "critters" or about the significance of this band .... I think the other motifs are strawberries ... perhaps was just made up to keep a little girl involved...

7 comments:

Jennifer Cameron said...

Mmmh, the critters are interesting aren't they. Possibly boars ie wild pigs?

Jennifer Cameron said...

Ps loving your progress, this is a great sampler.

Nicola said...

As the motifs are worked both ways maybe the sampler was stitched by two girls working from opposite ends?

Bethany said...

I agree with Jennifer, I would say boars. But like you, I have never ever seen these on a sampler before, quite interesting.

Vera said...

Very interesting critters...I agree with boars. Love your blackwork...I don't think I have the patience for that - LOL

Scarlet Letter said...

The frogs are my favorite. They appear on some C17th samplers and have some heraldic significance. Spot on with the wild boars. The last time I was in England I saw similar creatures emerging from the woods in the Forest of Dean, and my friend insisted that they were tapirs.

Fiona said...

Your stitching looks great and you posed some interesting questions.