Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 25 July 2013

Dorothy Walpole WIP

It has been some time since I have posted about poor Dorothy.  I have been traveling between TX and sunny Southern California for all of May and June for a major work project.  Dorothy is a terrible traveler.  Such a big girl to fit in those cramped airline seats that she had to stay home.   Even is she came along she never made it out of my bag because after working 14 hour days I had little desire to stitch.  But, I have been making steady progress this month.  Here is a photo of where I was at last week.  Since then I have stitched the floral band below the Bargello to move on to something less tedious in my opinion.

Here is a photo of the section where I am at now.  I find these three sections to be very intense stitching with little progress each day.  I committed to trying to get a few words done during the day each weekend in the bright sunlight and only have a few more to do.  It will be lovely when done.

Any suggestions for working the Bargello section?  I have never done this type of work before and wonder if I am doing it right?  Would it be better to stitch each color completely across the row before starting the next?

Have a great week everyone!  I will be in the air conditioning stitching!

7 comments:

Sharon H said...

Kerri, I think your Dorothy is coming along beautifully. How you work bargello is completely up to you, of course. But since you asked, I prefer to work one color across the row in its entirity (that's how I did it), but I also alternated working the bargello with the vines/strawberries and other bands (one or two rows bargello, a couple of strawberries, etc) so that I didn't get bogged down. I mainly used the bargello band as my "mindless" stitching after work, etc since it's pretty easy (and mind-numbing) after you have the initial pattern. Can't wait to see more! Happy stitching.

Nikki said...

It's coming along beautifully. You have come to the interesting parts now! I really need to get back to stitching my Dorothy. After I restarted her on 40ct fabric, I just didn't have the same drive to stitch her anymore. Maybe after seeing yours I will get her out again.

Nikki

Bethany said...

I think your Dorothy is coming along great. I am sorry, I don't pick samplers with bargello in them, so I can't help in that regard. My guess is what ever way you choose to do it, will be fine. Hopefully, others will answer and give you some good advise.

Nicola said...

We all have our own ways. I prefer to work right across, at least for the first row. I think what works for you is the best for you.

Doothy looks so pretty, she really is one of the most stunning reproduction samplers.

Kerri said...

Thanks for all the kind words on my sampler. It is only the second sampler I have stitched and but I am loving it!

I think I will start moving across the rows with one color at a time to make sure I keep it all in line.
Thanks for the advice!

MoonBeam said...

Your Dorothy is looking wonderful. I started her last year, but unfortunately she has been sadly neglected.

I've never stitched much bargello either, so it was interesting to read the couple of pieces of advice that you received. Good luck!

Bobbi

Carol Presley said...

Your piece is coming along beautifully. The thing to know about bargello is work it from the top line down. The first line sets the pattern and if you are very careful, that will be the toughest part. Each stitch comes up at the bottom in a 'clean' hole and goes down at the top in a 'dirty' hole. This keeps little fuzzies from marring your work. Once you have set the pattern, just work each row under it and it will go quickly. Good luck.