Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 10 July 2013

So Close! And, Question . . .

Sadly, I missed my hoped for completed by date of June 30.  Life has been extraordinarily crazy!  Most of it has not been fun, nor inexpensive.  For example flooded house from a toilet, chimney detaching from house with children's closet wall going with it.  That is just a glimpse of the visible/physical traumas, the drama of extended family is entirely impossible to explain.  So I added a much wished for sentiment to RR.  I believe Marsha stated the angel could represent this:


Time to stitch has been very limited the last couple of weeks.  Prior to that, I felt progress was evident.  Now I am hoping to finish RR before we leave for vacation with aunts, uncles, and cousins.  Here is where I am at currently:


My question is regarding flattened stitches.  I used a scroll frame for the first time.  The top was rolled up for several weeks. When I went back to work on the top section, I noticed the stitches were flattened.  I didn't pay it any attention until the stitching next to the flattened ones looked quite different.  Is there anything I should do? Will they just replump with time and humidity?  This is probably just another obsessing-on-a-tiny-detail question, but I thought I would throw it out there to you experienced stitchers.  The picture doesn't show the difference very well, but I will add it anyway.

They honeysuckle to the left has flattened stitches and the one on the right was newly stitched.  Well, thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

Hope you are all getting lots of time to be with the ones you love and can sneak in a few moments of peaceful stitching!

Rachel




12 comments:

Melissa said...

What a lovely sampler. This is on my to-stitch-one-day list.

I am sorry I don't have any advice on the flattened stitches. I would be interested in what advice you get.

Nicola said...

What good progress you have made. I ALWAYS (golden rule) loosen the tension on my frame when not stitching.

I am unable to help with re-plumping the stitches but I am sure some of our very experienced stitchers will be able to help.

Personally I think she looks gorgeous.

Marsha said...

Wow, what a catastrophe! Hopefully all your stash was water-free. I think a little press on the wrong side into a fluffy white towel underneath will pop those stitches out.

Kielrain said...

Sorry for all the yuck going on.
Your stitching looks beautiful.

If you are someone that washes their work at the end your stitches will plump back up then. If you are not they should still do so if you press your work... like Marsha says. :)

llknbillburg said...

I use a scroll frame most of the time, especially for large projects. I find that if I roll a strip of Warm and Natural (placed the entire width of the bars at both ends) up in the fabric as I stitch, it does less damage to the stitches. Hope this helps, Laura

Bethany said...

I had the same problem when I stitched Country Life. By the time I got to the end, the beginning was flat. Boy was I upset.........

Not to worry. Place the sampler over the bar in the shower, take a nice hot shower, leaving the sampler hanging and with in a couple of hours it fluffs back up. I did this a couple of times and I was happy.

Good luck

Krista said...

Looks wonderful!! So close to a beautiful finish! I agree with the others here, a press on the back into a towel should do the trick :)

Vera said...

Beautiful progress...this is gorgeous. I agree with the others...pressing from the wrong side with a towel. The shower idea sounds good too. Sorry for all your recent headaches. We, too, just had a leaky toilet and fortunately we were home (but didn't catch it till it had started to drip thru the wall and onto a ceiling downstairs). YUCK!

Faye said...

You are almost there!!!! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!! Sorry for the woes however.... Life is hard sometimes~~~~

Rachel F said...

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I am looking forward to being done and trying them out.
Now I will remember to loosen the rods in the future! Funny that I didn't realize that when I knew not to leave a hoop on in between stitching sessions.
It is so nice to have such a great group of people as a resource!!!

Elizabeth said...

Sorry to hear about what has been happening. Your stitching is beautiful

Cindy L said...

Rachel, your sampler is beautiful. Thanks to everyone for the above suggestions.