Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Birthday Gift

I just wanted to check in, since I completed Mary Ann Hutton I have been busy stitching a non Scarlet Letter Sampler. I am a one project at a time girl, but I have read all of your posts, enjoyed all the pictures, and stayed caught up with all of your beautiful projects. I have changed my mind SO many times which Scarlet Letter Sampler will be my next project.

Well, August is my birthday month and I would like to celebrate with a give away of my own. I have a kit for c.1800 Gift Pincushion, it includes 26 count Linsey Woolsey, silk thread, and black velvet for the backing. The finished size is 4 X 6 inches. If you would like to stitch this pin cushion leave a comment and I will draw a name next Wednesday, the 21st.

This is a big birthday for me, 60! I don't quite know how that can be, I still feel 29. I have spent a lot of time thinking about growing older gracefully and I found this prayer. I love all it says and read it frequently.

A Prayer For Growing Old Gracefully

Lord, Thou knowest better than I myself that I am growing older and will someday be old. Keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion.

Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful but not moody; helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all; but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips on my aches and pains; they are increasing, and love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

I dare not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessening cock-sureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others. Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken.

Keep me reasonably sweet, for a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places and talents in unexpected people; and give, O Lord, the grace to tell them so.

Amen.

Author Unknown

Happy Stitching All,

Cheri

10 comments:

Erica near Chicago said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! (but please don't enter me in the drawing - I have enough projects already)

Margaret said...

Happy 60th birthday! I love The Prayer for Growing Old Gracefully. I need to copy that down -- it's perfect! Thanks for the giveaway! Great way to celebrate!

MoonBeam said...

Happy Birthday! What a sweet way to pay your celebration forward.

I am a few years ahead of you, so I can totally relate to your prayer. Very touching.

I, too, ask not to be entered in the drawing. I already have too many projects sitting around here making me feel guilty. Thanks.

Happy Birthday and Happy Stitching!

Bobbi

Melissa said...

You don't need to include me in the draw. I just wanted to wish you a very Happy 60th!

Margotatau said...

Happy Birthday Cheri. Love the poem. Enjoy your special day.Margot.

Jonette said...

Happy Birthday!! Would love to win the lovely kit.

Teresa S. said...

I also finished Mary Ann Hutton for the challenge. And I've been pondering which one to do next. I think the pincushion is a perfect choice! Please enter me in your drawing.
A birthday that ends in 0 is a perfect reason to celebrate!

P>S> Love that prayer, too :)

Krista said...

Happy Birthday, Cheri! What a fun poem! Would love to be entered in your giveaway.

Erica said...

Hi Cheri,
Happy Birthday month!
I a "one project at a time" girl too. I get too frustrated otherwise.
What a generous offer! I would love to be included in your drawing!

Nicola said...

What a beautiful post for the poem to the generosity of your gift.

Please could you include me too.