Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 14 August 2013

My New Start -- Sarah Siddall

I finally got started on Saturday night, August 3, on Sarah Siddall.  I think I stayed up very late that night/morning as I was so happy to get her under way.

The rest of the week was only bits and pieces with a little more progress over the weekend.  Here she is as of now:


I am using linen by Wichelt 40ct Sandstone.  The threads are mostly the called for AVAS, but I am experimenting with some variegated silks, also.  The darker border green, the inner flower and "feet" of the flower, and the stems/leaves around the double flower.  I wanted to use more reds where the peaches were called for, so it will be interesting to see how it develops.

This sampler is the one I decided upon many months ago to do in remembrance of my Dad, who passed away in January.  He was almost always wearing something deep red.  I still can see him in his brown trench coat and scarlet muffler as we went from appointment to test to treatment . . .

I feel I have learned a lot from all of you and from my last sampler.  Hopefully, this will turn out as I imagine it.  My tastes may have changed some since I chose Sarah Siddall those months ago, but I am enjoying having her started.  Back then, I spent so much time trying to figure out how to alter for a different verse, to include the initials of all my siblings, and to select a few color changes.  Now I am second guessing some of those choices.  It is not easy to choose colors on-line.  

My two boys have just started back to school, so I am in a terrible state of missing them and forlorn how quickly summer has passed!  We have many wonderful new memories, though, and soon we will have so many interesting school related projects and activities.  Hope all of you are having a lovely summer and wishing you all the best as another school year gets rolling!

Rachel

8 comments:

Tommye said...

What a lovely tribute to your dad. I'm sure this gorgeous piece will always bring you good memories.

I used to stitch a Santa for my dad every year and he always looked forward to it. He kept them on display all year round. I'm surrounded by memories of him every time I visit my mom.

Melissa said...

This is looking beautiful. I had to check the website to see what the original looks like but the photo was small and I couldn't see much. I will look forward to seeing your progress. It's really nice that you are doing this sampler to honor your dad!

Kids back to school already? Here in Canada it's usually after Labour Day.

Happy Stitching.

Lanie said...

Beautiful Rachel! And what a great way to honor your dad ... I'm sure this sampler will always have a special piece of your heart. Enjoy!
My girls go back to college this weekend ... i dont like the sound of a quiet house :(

Jonette said...

Beautiful!! Love the colors.

Krista said...

A gorgeous start on this sampler! And what a wonderful way to give tribute to your father. I will enjoy watching your progress, this one is on my list to do too!

Nicola said...

A wonderful start Rachel and I know what a special sampler this is going to be for the love that it is being stitched with. Hugs N xxxx

Jenny said...

Your sampler is looking just lovely, Rachel. What a wonderful way to pay tribute to your Dad....how special this one will be!

Faye said...

Nice start Rachel!