Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Friday, 11 October 2013

A Row of Crowns


Hello everyone!  Look at my CROWNS!  (well, they are really Sarah Limah's crowns... she chose to stitch them in eyelet stitches.)

When I was a little girl my dad loaded us all up in the station wagon, and every Sunday my mom and dad took us all to church, where we headed up to the balcony loft (less conspicuous there!  mom could swat us with the hymnal if she needed to, to make us behave : )

and we joined the choir singers (very informal, these rural country churches.  They let us kids stand on the fringes and join the singing) and sing, "Holy, Holy, Holy".  (I always tried to stand next to this petite dark-haired woman -- can't remember her name now -- that had a lovely alto voice.  She could harmonize like anything!)

So as I am stitching these crowns I keep thinking of the words "casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea...."  (Memory is a funny thing isn't it...you would think, 40 years later, I would have forgotten by now?  : ) 

(however I will spare you and stop writing about my childhood and get on to the stitching stuff!)

here is where I was a couple of days ago, on Sarah. (you can see where I put aside stitching the over-one on the rest of the word 'receive'....am going to finish that when I feel a bit braver!)  (pardon the wrinkles....)


then I got into those eyelet crowns and, wow....they are FUN! 


I hope all of you are getting some stitching time in these cool Fall evenings.... I am enjoying Sarah Limah very much!




8 comments:

Lanie said...

This is such a pretty sampler, Theresa, I have always admired it! I did not realize the row of crowns was stitched in eyelets ... how fun! Your stitching is lovely.
Enjoy ... I'll look forward to your future progress posts.

Nicola said...

Teresa I have enjoyed every word and photo of your post. My mind drifts off when I stitch and it is funny what pops up from the past :o))

Sarah is a stunner !!!

Kim Hummel said...

I've just been dithering on which of the Norwich samplers to get and then you go and post pictures of this one in progress! It is a stunner. Love the memories you shared.

Jenny said...

Hi Theresa,
I too grew up with Holy, Holy, Holy, surrounded by choirs and beautiful organ music. My Mom had a beautiful alto voice and when I sat next to her in church we would harmonize together...thanks for the memory....it made me smile...Sarah is absolutely beautiful. I love those crowns in eyelet stitch!

Krista said...

What a beautiful sampler! Your stitching is wonderful, Theresa! Love the crowns and all the colors.

Debbie Bauer said...

Very pretty colors. This is a gorgeous sampler and your work is beautiful. Especially those eyelets stitches! I really enjoyed the story you shared.

Bethany said...

Lovely and looking like a finish is soon. Thanks for sharing your story.

Cindy L said...

Theresa, this is such a lovely sampler, the colors are so pretty.