Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Monday, 2 December 2013

A New Start!

Hi everyone ... Happy Monday!

Just a quick post to share my latest SLY project ... may I introduce  ...
MARIA IGNACIA OLIVERA

 
The history Marsha provided with the chart states 'Maria' is a Mexican sampler stitched circa 1850. The Mexican needlewomen in the new Spanish colonies had easy access to the fine Chinese silk materials that were widely traded in New Spain. The motifs in this sampler were influenced by the needlework in Europe, but the brilliant color palette reflects both native influences and influences from the finished goods arriving from the Orient. 'Maria' does have lovely colors!
 
The sampler is charted in 5 sections with all but one section utilizing a good bit of over 1 and satin stitch. I'll also be learning the faggoting stitch and Mayan Step stitch, so that should be fun!
 
I started my stitching on the lower right corner since that section is the only section stitched entirely in cross stitch over 2 ... I'm kinda stitching upside down and backwards! I always have stitched 'in hand', but with the large amount of satin and over 1 stitching, I may have to look into putting this one on a frame ... we'll see how it goes!
 
Here's a look at my progress ...
 
 
As I typicall do ... there will be a few changes along the way. The 'Faith, Hope & Love' band that I have stitched (5th band from bottom) was borrowed from another sampler ... I've always loved that band and just decided to incorporate it into this project. Is that unacceptable/wrong/illegal??? I hope not!!!
 
I'm sure this will be a busy month for all of us, but I hope you can find a few minutes to relax with your stitching!
 
Have a great week!
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lanie


11 comments:

donnacrafts said...

Just outstanding. I love, love your creativity. This change makes it your own. Pls. keep posting your progress. Enjoy.

queenstownsamplerdesigns said...

Lanie,
I Love this sampler too. Marsha & I do our best to reproduce our samplers as close to the original as possible. However - you are lucky to be able to change it up any way you want. The great thing about needle art is that you should feel free to express yourself. I encourage you to do sew.

Bethany said...

I agree with Barbara. The best part of stitching is enjoying yourself and doing whatever makes you happy. All the frogging when we make mistakes isn't a lot of fun, so I try not to do too much of that any more. No one has ever looked at my finished pieces and said, that isn't the way it was reproduced.

I do have a funny story though. Lorraine Mootz for the Celle Museum came to our guild to give a talk about needlework. While she was there, she came to my mother's home. While walking around looking at her samplers, she said, (I think I know this sampler, it looks like something I reproduced for Permin. It was, but mom had added a few other things to the reproduction and Lorraine noticed.

Erica near Chicago said...

Another wonderful sampler. I love the thread colors.

Cindy L said...

Lanie, you picked another beautiful sampler. I love the colors. I would not have known you added your own band...such a beautiful personal touch.

Jenny said...

Your new start is just beautiful Lanie. I too agree about adding your own touches. That is what makes your sampler your own :) The band you added is just lovely.

Kevin said...

This is just beautiful! Those vibrant colors are really unique. Looks like this is a really fun one to stitch. Great job so far!

Theresa said...

I admire anyone who is able to
chart or include new touches in samplers...

if you include the original stitcher's name and the date of the sampler,
(not everyone will agree but then, we all have our individual preferences),

to me, that is already preserving their name/ work!

this is going to be a lovely sampler.

Krista said...

Great new start, Lanie! I like this Spanish sampler and will enjoy watching your progress. The colors are so pretty and I like you own touches you have added.

Vera said...

Wonderful start Lanie and glorious colors. I am finding myself drawn more and more to Mexican samplers. They always seem so cheerful. Love the way you are making it your own as well. Looking forward to your progress pictures.

Merilde said...

This is a lovely sampler - the colors are gorgeous as is your stitching! I love the band you added - it fits right in. Now, I have to add another to my ever-growing list!
Lori