Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Sunday, 22 December 2013

Poor Ann Hair!

After taking a break from Ann Hair, I've resumed work on her.

I think I may have figured out why I had put her aside for a while--I had made a counting mistake on the placement of the celtic knot on the far right.  I had stitched it two threads too far to the right.  I wish that I had discovered my mistake before I added the algerian eyes and satin stitches to the celtic knot.  Yesterday I finally made myself rip out that area, and now I'm ready to move forward.


Here is Ann as she looked on Friday....not much progress since you last saw here.  Although I have come a long way, I still have quite a ways to go.


I made the discovery that I don't have enough of one of the greens to complete the sampler.  I looked in my stash and found more of the same AVAS color, but the dyelot is dramatically different.  I mean dramatically!!  I laid the two dyelots on my linen so you could see the difference. (The difference is much more obvious in person.)  The only "good" news is that I have enough of the the original green to complete the band I'm currently working on.  I'm not sure what I'll do about the green elsewhere on the sampler.

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmastide!

12 comments:

DonnaSews said...

Gorgeous... The dye lot change is very frustrating. I am so happy you have enough of the old lot to finish. This is sure to be an heirloom sampler.

~mj~ said...

I would just finish the band with the right dye lot and use the other dye lot for the rest of the sampler...when the samplers were stitched there was often a wide variance in the dye lots as they were often home dyed...when I stitch samplers I have the same problem sometimes, but I don`t let it worry me...

Carmen Sutton said...

Lovely sampler! hate when there is a mistake and you have done a lot of stitching before it is noticed. As for the thread take a small piece and send it to needlework shop and they can match it to the closest green. Or just go with mj's advice.

Cactusneedle said...

Great that you have enough to finish that section. If you don't like the other green, just pick another green - no law saying you can't change out colors! lol

Jonette said...

Beautiful! Merry Christmas!

Joanne O'H said...

Wonderful! Even with the frogging and silk issues, you must be very pleased with it. Seeing your photos has made this sampler jump up my wish list!

Bethany said...

This sure is a lovely sampler. I admire you, when it comes to the perfect sampler. Two threads, let's NOT. I'll bet if you asked someone to look at the sampler, they wouldn't even notice the addition. Sure hope Ann doesn't give you any more trouble.....Merry Christmas

~mj~ said...

I meant to ask in my previous comment, after you ripped the eyelets how did the fabric take the stitches when you re-stitched? I am always afraid to rip eyelets, thinking the disturbed threads will always look pulled out of whack....

Erica near Chicago said...

This will be exquisite when finished. I'd be inclined to follow mj's advice as well.

Nupur said...

Ellen,
Beautiful work...
as far as the dye lot difference - would it be possible to 'work in' the new green in the current band in a balanced way so that it looks like it was meant to be that way? You can then transition to the remaining bands and it may not be such a big deal...
The other option is to start blending it in randomly - sometimes this looks a bit muddy and sometimes too busy...

Cindy L said...

Beautiful sampler Ellen. It is frustrating when the dye lots are so different but at least you have enough for this section. Another shade should blend in on other parts and look lovely.

Maria del Valle said...

Beautiful sampler!!
Great problem, but at least you have enough thread, to complete the band.
Have a Happy New Year Ellen!