Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Friday, 10 January 2014

Happy New Year!

 

Happy New Year everyone! May all of us and the world in
which we live be blessed in 2014.

Remember a few weeks ago when Nicola posted about the 'relationships' we have with our stitching projects and how sometimes those relationships just don't develop as we had hoped? Well ... a failed relationship happened with me and 'Maria Ignacia Olivera'. I'm not sure what went wrong ... I was stitching along just fine in the glow of a new, beautiful sampler and suddenly it just didn't seem right. Mind you, it has nothing to do with 'Maria', she is still just as beautiful and intriguing, but I realized I was forcing something that just wasn't there. I'm disappointed. Possibly at another time and for a different space I will get back to stitching her, but for now I have put her aside.
 
So what's a girl to do? ... find another relationship, right?!  January 1st I started 'Sarah Harvey 1737' ... here is her photo that I borrowed from the Scarlet Letter website.
Sarah Harvey
 
She and I are getting along much better.  I think she is better suited for the space I have in mind. Not much to see yet, but here is a little piece ...
 
 
She is a little more colorful than I anticipated, and young Sarah didn't take any chances in possibly becoming bored with one fiber color ... lots of color changes! My first thoughts were 'oh my, not sure about this' but I have conceded ... this was Miss Sarah's vision and I'm going to stick with it.
 
So that's that! Looks like many of you have started new and/or have picked up and continued with existing projects ... lots of progress posts out there ... love viewing everyone's beautiful stitching!
 
Our daughters go back to college on Sunday ... hate to see them leave but I suppose it is time to get back to our regular schedules. We have loved having them home for an extended break ... nothing better than children filling your home with laughter ... no matter how old they get!
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lanie



8 comments:

Bethany said...

I am sure if you can't find it in yourself to finish Maria, someone will step up. Sarah is sure a great piece to but your mind at ease. Good luck with her and I know she won't disappoint.

Nicola said...

I am glad I am not the only one Lanie. Put her away and maybe when you meet up again a relationship will be formed.

Jenny said...

This has happened to me with other samplers too. Sometimes it just isn't right...but I agree with Nicola... Maybe another time will be better....I had to put a sampler that I was making for me away for awhile and found that it worked much better when I stitched it as a gift for my mom. Just imagining her reaction changed the whole thing...grins. Sarah is just beautiful and it will be so fun to watch you stitch her. Enjoy your time with your daughters and happy stitching!

Krista said...

Love your new start! Best to be excited about a project because if not it is more of a chore than a fun journey. One day it will be the right time for Maria.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sarah is looking good! I'd never have guessed at that bright red being in there, it shows how much the originals fade over the years.

Maybe Maria will make a comeback in the Summer?

Terry N said...

Life is short, Lanie, and so is the amount of time we have to stitch. If one particular piece isn't speaking to you anymore, then it's time to move on. Your new stitching project is just beautiful.

Cindy L said...

Lanie, I do agree with the others...stitching should not be a chore. Love your new start!

Vera said...

I agree with the others as well Lanie. gorgeous new start!!! Love all those colors.