Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Friday, 31 January 2014

Sarah Harvey 1737 Update

 
How is everyone?

Not to bring up the ugly winter weather again but ........ !  Although, as it  has been mentioned before, the one bright side to being stuck indoors is that there is more time for stitching ... and I am thankful for that!  :)
 
In my last post I mentioned having some difficulty with the color palette with 'Miss Sarah' ... I thought she needed some brighter colors ... but after several attempts at changing some of the silks, I realized she was perfect just the way she was ... not all colors are on my favorites list ... but I have grown to really like her ... quirky color palette and all!
 

 
I'm working on the alphabet section stitched with eyelet stitch over 4, but as you can see, have also started several other bands. Occasionally I need a little break from all those eyelets!
 
Other than the eyelets, stitches on 'Sarah Harvey' are all regular cross stitch over 2. The only section that differs from that is the bottom section ... 
 
  ... it is worked in regular cross stitch over 2 and then outlined with stem stitch. I have the top cluster of leaves completed ... can you see the outline in the photo? I have never stitched this technique before and I'm still not 100% sure I am executing it correctly. The overall effect is fairly subtle, although it does add a little dimension and it softens the edges. I like it ... and I am itching to stitch more of this section, but the deal is I must finish the top row of the alphabet first and then I will reward myself!  If anyone has stitched this technique, I would appreciate any secrets/helpful hints.
 
I would love to have 'Sarah' completed by the end of the SLY ... we'll see how it goes. I think it all depends on how dilegent I am stitching those eyelets!
 
So that's about it ... I must drag myself out of the house this afternoon to complete a few errands that cannot be put off any longer. The temperatures in our part of Pennsylvania are actually going to warm up for the next few days ... yipee!
 
Happy Friday ... Happy Weekend!
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lanie

8 comments:

Margaret said...

I love the colors on this one! OMG! My wish list grows ever longer.

Vera said...

Oh Lanie, this is just gorgeous! And I love the stem stitch used to outline -- have never done that myself, but it looks great! enjoy the "warm" weekend - in Eastern PA we are expecting the same -- I think 40 or 50 will feel like summer - lol.

Krista said...

Looks amazing, Lanie!!

Debbie Bauer said...

Lanie I do like the effect the outline creates. Your sampler is beautiful! I am very jealous of your warming temperatures.

Jenny said...

Miss Sarah is just lovely,Lanie!

Nicola said...

I really like outlining a motif with stem stitch, it is so effective. I have stored this away for future use.

I love reading our posts and learning from each other.

Cindy L said...

Lanie, you are just speed stitching on this! The colors are beautiful.

Bethany said...

Thank you for your close up. Your stitching is wonderful.