Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 20 February 2014

A Finish for a Newbie

A very warm hello to all talented and prolific SAL stitchers!

My name is Sue and I live in the wee town of Dousman, Wisconsin in the US. For the geography experts among us, Dousman is located about halfway between Milwaukee and the state capitol, Madison.

I am stratospherically proud to compose this post and to attach a photo of a FINISHED and framed Circling Alphabets! This pride is due to the fact that this is my very first ever cross stitch piece.

When I was at a retreat with favorite friends (some of whom have posted here) about a year ago, they were chatting excitedly about this challenge. When I ventured a look at the pieces they were selecting, I quickly eliminated myself. I had attempted a tiny pin cushion cross stitch piece during an earlier retreat, and completed 7 (count them, SEVEN) stitches over the entire weekend! There was simply no way I could make my way through any of the magnificent Scarlet Letter beauties I saw on the SAL pages.

"Oh!" my friends chimed in. "There are smaller pieces, too!" Hmmm... I could feel myself getting sucked into the vortex of excitement. So I studied and with unfounded optimism, decided to attempt Circling Alphabets. 

Over the ensuing year, I made decent progress, but a finish by February 20, 2014 was doubtful. Then came the coldest, nastiest winter in 30 years. In early January, I hunkered down under my comfort quilt and stitched until my eyes and fingers simultaneously cried "Uncle"! 

To my enormous shock, I completed the pattern AND the personalized center. In the meantime, my more-savvy buds had discovered a delightful shop called Lynn's of Madison which, among other things, excels in framing. Scoffing at the never-ending horrid environmental challenges, we made our way there to drop off, and just last week, pick up my ready-for-hanging piece. A huge accomplishment for this newbie cross stitcher which I attach here.

In my zeal, I neglected to take note of important constructions details, but I do remember that I stitched on 35 ct linen with DMC floss.

Happiest of birthdays, Nicola, and much gratitude to you for birthing and nurturing this stellar idea!

Warmest regards to all -
Sue

16 comments:

KathieB said...

Yay Sue! Happy to have been along on the infamous "seven stitch" weekend. And now, how far you've come-----------you are a full-fledged stitcher.

I have seen Sue's framed and completed Circling Alpahbets in person, and it's gorgeous. In fact, I bought the chart and will be making it too. Sue, you are my Circling Alphabets role model.

Debbie Bauer said...

Congratulations Sue. Your sampler is stunning!!! I am also a so called newbie. I completed Emma Miles and also on time. So I know the feeling of accomplishment you feel. Can't wait to see what you choose to stitch next.

Faye said...

Well stitched and well said!!

Joanne O'H said...

Congratulations Sue! A wonderful finish! Your stitching looks really great. And best wishes for your next stitch.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Congratulations Sue, this is a fantastic first finish, you should be very proud of yourself.

Krista said...

Wonderful finish, Sue!

Bethany said...

Welcome Sue,

We all were cheering you on, even if you didn't know it. Big, Little, Long, Short, it doesn't matter. What matters most is that you enjoy stitching. What a great place to do it, we others who will encourage and support....

Erica near Chicago said...

Welcome Sue. What a wonderful first piece. Several people have mentioned Lynn's on these blogs. If I find myself going north this year, I may have to make a detour.

Vera said...

Congratulations Sue on a beautiful finish! Can't wait to see what you pick next.

Lanie said...

Congratulations Sue ... perfectly stitched and I love the frame!
Welcome to the wonderful world of SL stitching ... we're thrilled to have you!

Jenny said...

Welcome Sue! Your sampler is just beautiful. Congratulations on a lovely finish. Will be looking forward to seeing what your next project will be!

Cindy L said...

Welcome Sue! Congratulations on your first stitched piece. Now comes the fun of deciding what to do next.

Maria del Valle said...

Congratulations on a nice finish and welcome Sue!!

DawnM said...

Congratulations Sue on a fabulous finish! I can't wait to see what you pick for your second piece.

FlyawayJil said...

Beautifully finished, and very wwll presented, Friend Sue. Echoing Kathie, YAY!

FlyawayJil said...

Beautifully finished, and very wwll presented, Friend Sue. Echoing Kathie, YAY!