Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 6 February 2014

If I Just Stitch One Motif a Day.......

maybe, just maybe, I can finish Margaret Randolph by the end of our Scarlet Letter Year :)

Margaret Randolph
28ct Cashel Antique White Linen
Suggested DMC

I actually put in a few stitches , very few,  on Miss Margaret last September, but had to set her aside for gift and Holiday Stitching. She waited patiently for me while I stitched on other things and all of a sudden I woke up one morning and knew I had to pick her up again. I fell in love with her motifs and her colours and on the last Sunday in January inspiration struck! I was going to try to finish her before our year ended.....okay....I really wish inspiration would have struck a little earlier...but hey maybe I could do this. After all... I have a plan! :)  So I have been stitching every free minute I have and then some and in a little over a week this is how far I have gotten. One motif a day, a little border now and then, a little over one now and then and soon she will be done. Right? Well it is a good plan but we will have to wait and see if I can pull this one off. Maybe...maybe not....but either way she is a delightful sampler to stitch, one of the sweetest samplers I have ever stitched, and I love her dearly. I will enjoy the journey and be happy whenever I finish her...

When I choose a sampler to stitch it is usually one band or motif that captures my heart and lets me know I have to stitch this one. Margaret had a few motifs that captured my heart and brought back memories. The blue butterflies were definitely one of them.


When I was a little girl I was absolutely TERRIFIED of bees. If one even came remotely close to me I would duck and weave and try to get away from it. I am sure many who witnessed these interesting moves had a little laugh and wondered what this little blond haired girl was doing...LOL... Anyway....one Sunday afternoon after lunch my Grandfather and I were out in our backyard. It was a beautiful day, full of sunshine, the roses were all blooming and of course the bees were out. Oh dear....all of a sudden I felt something fly by my face. Then began my bobbing and weaving routine...My Grandfather who was the quietest, most gentle man I have ever known took me in his arms and pointed to not a bee, but a beautiful butterfly that was flying right near us. We watched in silent wonder as it went from flower to flower. My Grandfather explained how if I just stood quietly and watched what was happening around me I wouldn't have to be afraid...because nothing would sting me... if I didn't scare them. So he explained how quiet we should be as we watched this beautiful butterfly and he put out his hand...and held very, very still...I was so quiet I was barely breathing, and lo and behold this butterfly landed on his outstretched hand and just sat there looking at me. To this day I can see so clearly my Grandfather with this butterfly sitting so calmly on his hand, like it didn't have a care in the world. So when I look at the beautiful butterflies in this sampler I will always remember the gentle man who was my Grandfather, who loved me enough to take the time to show me the beauty in nature and not to be afraid of the bees in life because in doing so I just might miss the butterflies :)


Well I had better wipe away the few tears that I shed over this memory because I have a plan....and I need to start stitching another motif...winks...

I hope all of you are finding time to enjoy your stitching in 2014. I know so many of you have had such horrid weather these past weeks...keep in mind that eventually Spring will come and with it... the butterflies.

Happy Stitching my Friends!

~Jenny~

12 comments:

Chris said...

Woohoo Jenny! Margaret looks wonderful. I am so glad that someone is stitching along with me on this piece. I am traveling the next 2 weekends and I am looking forward to spending some time with her.

Krista said...

Sweet story and sweet stitching! You can do it! :) Looks so pretty, love the butterfly!

Heritage Hall said...

O Jenny, what a lovely memory attached to your Margaret and
you related it so beautifully.
The stuff of life which gives it great meaning.

Lanie said...

Oh my, Jenny, what a cherished memory! And what a cherished sampler I'm sure this will always be for you.
Enjoy your time with your sweet "Margaret" and the memories of your dear grandfather.
Sending you a bundle of stitching mojo to help get her finished in time ... I'm trying to get mine finished also, but I'm not quite as confident as you!

Elizabeth said...

I started Margaret ages ago and your story has just given me the inspiration to get her out again.

What a wonderful gift you grandad gave to you and what wonderful memories he gave you to treasure.

Theresa said...

Oh these colors are so pretty, and what a lovely story about your grandfather. Sounds like he loved his little granddaughter very much : ) Our kids are getting out books from the library on keeping bees, since some friends of ours do it... I tell them not to get any great ideas : )

Cindy L said...

Jenny, such a lovely memory. Hoping your stitching this pretty sampler will bring spring to all of us soon! Looking forward to your finish for the gallery.

Nicola said...

Oh Jenny this brought a tear to my eye too. All our samplers mean something to us, this why each and everyone is special.

Good luck with your plan, I am sure you can finish but hey it is not the end of the world if it is after the 20th.

Kim said...

Your sweet memory brought a tear to my eye as well. So sweet, so this sampler will be very, very special to you, it is so beautiful!!! Kim

Maria del Valle said...

Hello Jenny
Beautiful stitching!!
You have had a sweet dreams and memories
Happy Stitching for you, too!!

Bethany said...

What a wonderful story. How it brings back fond memories of my grandfather and fishing...... I did the Sarah Hatton Mcphail for this reason. It has the boat on it and it reminded me of him......

Pamela said...

...not to be afraid of the bees in life so you won't miss the butterflies - such a loving, gentle way to teach one of life's important lessons. What a neat guy!