Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

A Post on Behalf of Sally Fr

Apologies to all members for not being able to post for quite a few months, but I have had some health issues which have only just been sorted out at last after a couple of incorrect diagnoses.   We have also been away in the US.

Anyway, I have made a good start on The Elizabeth Irwin Sampler, using the recommended AVAS shades on a piece of Lakeside Vintage.  I really dislike stitching alphabet letters and numerals but this chart is getting me through my blind spot.  The original stitcher used eyelet stitches to form her letters and a few numerals and they are proving fun to do.  I am hoping my copy of this Sampler will be completed by the time of my 65th birthday in May.

What I found fascinating with the background history of this chart is the fact that Elizabeth Irwin became the mother of the 23rd President of the United States, Benjamin Harrison.  Facts recorded she never lived long enough to see her son become President. 

I have just recently obtained a copy of The Emily Freeman Sampler, 1828.  There is an inordinate amount of text on this one including a biblical passage from 1 Peter, ch5 v5.  The text is surrounded by a Greek fretwork border.

Owing to the time I have spent living abroad, I was able to claim immediate entry as a member of a local International Women's Association and our last talk was from one of eight (I think I have the right number!) framers in the UK who preserve textiles and frame to UK Museum and Conservation Standards.  There was so much to learn from him and if ever I hear he is giving a talk again on these standards, I will be at the front of the queue.  He brought some samples of 18th Century English samplers to show us different presentation methods.

Hopefully, when life is a little less hectic, I will be able to get a picture of progress on The Elizabeth Irwin Sampler posted.

Photo supplied by Marsha Parker

Note from Jo - Elizabeth Irwin is now out of print but Marsha advised us that she still has some charts available.  Contact her direct if you are interested.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I sure hope you are on track again and all is well with your health. Thank you for sharing this information with all of us.

Maria del Valle said...

I hope you are better now, thank you by all the information!

Nicola said...

A great post Sally and I enjoyed reading it. How wonderful to be able to hear the talk. Framing and conservation is such an interesting subject.