Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Abigail Gould Finish

This is my first finish since joining "Our Scarlet Letter Years". It has taken two days to load a picture but I did it! I finished Abigail Gould stitched in silk. The only change I made from the colours called for was on the tree. I started the tree in black as called for but it was flat, so i removed what I had done, grabbed a skein of Caron Waterlilies over dyed silk called Sable. The silk was thinner than AVAS silk used in the rest of the piece so I got out my laying tool and used two strands. I like the way the tree came out, it has that "old" look with the several shades of colour. This is the very first time I have changed out a colour in any historical kit, but i am happy with my results. This is what it is about correct? This summer I need to get busy and make frames as most of my finishes are not framed yet.I have always been so excited to finish a piece and could hardly wait to start another I always put the framing  off for one day.... Well the day is fast approaching!
 Next Scarlet letter project is the Stitch Along, Ruthy Rogers. I hope you join us! happy stitching! bob


14 comments:

Nicola said...

Congratulations Bob on finishing Abigail, she is a charming sampler.

I am curious as to how you manage to use a laying tool one handed.

Lanie said...

Oh I love your sweet 'Abigail Gould'! Congratulations on your finish. Your stitching is perfect and I think your tree looks terrific.
Have fun with Miss Ruthy...she charmed me from the very first time I saw her and although I will not be joining the SAL, I will definitely enjoy watching everyone's progress.

Krista said...

Amazing finish, Bob!! I love this design with the sweet couple. I think you made the perfect choice in changing the color of the tree, it really suits it! You are right it is all about being happy with the final result and the journey of course! Congrats!

Winderwoodfarm said...

using a laying tool is something i try hard not to use!. i will get the tool in place, if possible use my stump but most of the time it is getting the tool in place, holding the needle and thread and getting the tool between the teeth. i do not put tight because i always have more to fix. i have also used on strand and stitched through the hole twice, it is easier. bob

Debbie Bauer said...

Abigail is gorgeous! Love your choice with the tree color. My Ruthy arrived today! So I will be joining along after all! Thanks to Marsha ,she is amazing!!

Erica near Chicago said...

Very nice! I look forward to seeing it framed.

Jenny said...

Abigail is just lovely! The color you chose for the tree is just right! Congratulations on a beautiful finish! Ruthy Rogers is another wonderful sampler and I will enjoy watching all the posts about this one.

Elizabeth said...

This is just beautiful. I like the choice of thread for the tree.

Stitch Wizard said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish with Abigail. She is really beautiful. I am so looking forward to stitching Ruthy with you and Nicola too. Your stitching is really just stunning! Debby

Scarlet Letter said...

Bob is amazing. You finished this in record time. Did you use your own sheep's wool for the background? If so, what breed, and how did you dye it? I used to have my sheep and alpaca wool carded and turned into rovings ay my friend's mill, but I never ventured to dye it.
Excellent job!

Vera said...

Gorgeous finish Bob -- love the tree! Looking forward to seeing your Ruthy, along with the others.

Cindy L said...

Congratulations on such a lovely finish! Do you make and do your own framing? I have a back up too, on getting my pieces framed but hope to get them done next month.

Theresa said...

Congratulations on a great finish! Would love to see how it looks framed, if you get a chance to post a picture!

Bethany said...

Congratulations on your finish. We all are looking forward to your group and Ruthy. Make sure to show some close ups.