Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Friday, 18 April 2014

Ann's Creeping Along The Grid

So, Ladies, a week has passed since I started my Ann Lawle and posted my first post on Our Scarlet Letter Years.  It's slow going creating that grid for the cutwork, but then this is my first ever cutwork piece so I am checking and rechecking what I am doing. It was scary cutting those vertical and horizontal threads and making sure the two threads were the only ones the scissors were cutting each time. I got there in the end but there sure were a LOT of threads to pull out and secure at the back.


A perfectly formed but very limp grid!
 
Now I have started Whip stitching the vertical threads and the grid is starting to strengthen....a ways to go though but I am having fun.
 
 
Starboard side's vertically strengthened, Port side's awaiting whipping!
 
Happy Easter All

13 comments:

samplerlover said...

It's looking wonderful. Before you know you will be doing Hardanger. Looking forward to see more.

Cactusneedle said...

Can you share more on how you secure the threads? I have a piece that I'm doing the same thing and just not sure I am doing it "correctly".

Cactusneedle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

Amazing work! That is exactly the reason I have not tried cutwork, it seems scary! It is so interesting to see the detailed photos of the process.

Theresa said...

Amazing....did you teach yourself or take a class? I love this sampler and could omit the top part but would be fun to try out the hardanger work.
I suppose one could always practice on a small piece of stash linen first...
your work looks great!

Jenny said...

WOW! I have always wanted to try cutwork but in the end always changed my mind because it was ,as Krista said, way too scary!!!!! Watching your progress makes it look less frightening :) It looks like you are doing an amazing job. Looking forward to your next progress pic!

Reconstructed Fabulousness said...

Thanks for your lovely & encouraging comments. I am indeed winging it and at the same time teaching myself but following 'very carefully' the instruction sheet. I just figured that if it was a complete botch up then I could always omit it from the finished sampler. It feels like I am on track and doing it all correctly...here's hoping!
I am securing the threads as per the directions which is for the horizontals to thread through the back of the satin stitch and for the verticals to go straight up under the satin and four sided and cut to 1/4". Seems scary but it appears to hold well enough.

Cheryl Matzker said...

It is always scary to snip those threads in the linen but you are doing an amazing job. Now comes the fun. Love whipping in those little wrap-arounds. It will go pretty fast so enjoy it.

Cheryl Matzker said...

It is always scary to snip those threads in the linen but you are doing an amazing job. Now comes the fun. Love whipping in those little wrap-arounds. It will go pretty fast so enjoy it.

Vera said...

You are doing a fabulous job -- congratulations. I love cutwork, though it can be a little scary at times when you start the snipping!! Keep posting updates -- looking forward to seeing them.

Tommye said...

That part is tedious, but soon the fun part begins!

Erica near Chicago said...

Cutwork has been too scary for me. Thank you for the detailed photos and the information on how you are securing the threads.

Cindy L said...

Thank you for your photos, I like seeing the steps in progress. I've done small pieces in cutwork but never such a large project. It looks wonderful so far.