Margaret Randolph

Margaret Randolph
Margaret Randolph stitched by Jenny

Translate

Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Her Name was Margaret

Hello Everyone,

In 1826 Margaret Randolph, who was then 7 years old, finished her sampler. Now 188 years later I have finished mine, and I couldn't be more thrilled! I love her! I really think Margaret must have loved the outdoors because her sampler incorporated so many lovely things like birds and butterflies and roses.....all the things that I love, especially during the Spring and Summer months here in California. Even though I hadn't intended for her to become my summer stitch, that was what she was and it couldn't have been a more perfect sampler to work on while I have been enjoying my own garden.


Margaret was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1819. She died in 1888. That means she lived during the Civil War.....I found myself wondering about her and her family....did they oppose slavery and maybe even help runaways in what was called the Underground Railroad, or maybe they felt ties with the Southern States. Did she lose a brother or son or other loved ones during this war? 

I came across this poem last year and thought it fit really well with Margaret. I hope you enjoy it.

A Sampler Speaks

I am a small square of linen and some
few yards of thread


Long years ago, when America was young,
I lay across the lap of a little girl
whose hand patiently patterned me.
Seated on a stool, she faced a table
whereon a candle flickered,
and shadows chased her busy fingers.
She sewed the alphabet and learned her letters...


formed a verse and learned devotion...
embroidered flowers and learned nature...


worked a border and learned art.


Through me, in part she learned to be
a woman and a wife.
I was her hope and her despair,
her pride and her love.
She is gone now,and gone are her times
and her ways
But in me, her sampler, and through her needle,
something of her and her day lives on
as surely as the painter
lives through his brush, the writer through his pen.

Author....Unknown

Margaret Randolph 1826
Cashel Linen - 28 Count
Antique White - DMC Threads
---------------
The time has come to pick a new sampler to work on.....I wonder which one that will be?

Happy Stitching everyone....all of your work is just beautiful!

~Jenny~


27 comments:

Dawn said...

This is beautiful!!
Love everything about it.
Congratulations. Looking forward to seeing what you pick out next.

Nicola said...

What a wonderful post to wake up to this morning. Congratulations on a gorgeous finish. You must be so pleased with Margaret.

samplerlover said...

This is another beautiful sampler that I love. thank you for the poem. Its beautiful

Krista said...

What a beautiful finish! and such a lovely tribute to Margaret! What a sweet poem for the stitchers of yesteryear.

Jonette said...

Beautiful! Love the poem. Happy Stitching!

donnacrafts said...

Oh Jenny, thank you for such a lovely post. This sampler is lovely. I love the limited color palette, great choice!!

Winderwoodfarm said...

the poem is so wonderful! thank you for sharing it with us, your sampler is beautiful! bob

sallyfr said...

Lovely Sampler and what a lovely poem!

Vera said...

Beautiful finish! And the poem is perfect. Thank you for sharing.

Bethany said...

What a wonderful post, the time you took, taking photo's and placing the poem. Your sampler is lovely and what a wonderful way to celebrate Margaret. Looking forward to your next sampler, maybe your name will be drawn this month and your decision will be made.

Carol said...

That is simply gorgeous, Jenny!! I love the blues and golden yellows--my favorite color combination. Congratulations on a lovely finish :)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful sampler and poem--it speaks to all of the women who pick up a piece of linen and thread a needle

Faye said...

This is the one!!!!!! I have waiting for the LONGEST time to know which SL Sampler to start next..... THIS IS IT!!! Thanks so much for posting this beauty..... I need to find the chart now!!! It's just beautiful~

woolwoman said...

what a lovely finish Jenny - it was a great post and I love the poem and how you interspersed with photos of your sampler. what a wonderful accomplishment for a 7 yr old. You do wonder into their world in your dreams don't you! Enjoy your next SL pursuit! Mel

Scarlet Letter said...

Exquisitely wrought, and exquisitely presented. Thank you for sharing this.

Rachel F said...

Fabulous job! Fantastic cheerful colors -- my favorites, blue and yellow! If I wasn't already so ashamed of my lack of accomplishment, I would have to have this pattern and the threads to look at.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Beautiful sampler and lovely stitching. I have made it into our header photo for the month!

I love the poem too, that would make a great verse stitched into a sampler.

Serena B said...

Wonderful post,congratulations on a fabulous finish! It is truly a sampler to treasure!

Karoline said...

Margaret is gorgeous, congratulations

ilana kaye said...

Magnificent finish. The love and effort you put into your work shines through!

Theresa said...

Jenny your creativity always amazes me : ) and your stitching is beautiful!! just incredibly lovely!

bilal sabir ali said...

for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
www.adsclickearning.com

Carolien said...

Oh Jenny, such a lovely sampler! It looks gorgeous and I love the blue in it, that makes it so special!
Love the sweet poem as well.

Yes, what's next? I can't wait :)

Hugs from over the pond and have a nice Sunday, Carolien

waleedgazdar said...

for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
www.adsclickearning.com

waleedgazdar said...

for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
www.adsclickearning.com

bilal sabir ali said...

for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
www.adsclickearning.com

bilal sabir ali said...

The best Value Deals in pakistan where you get accessories, clothing, electronics, featured products, health care, hot deals for womens,
jewelry, lifestyle and much more deals for mens and womens, join this deal fast and get 90% Discount.
www.valuedeals.pk